"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: Question on the customs of war: Foot soldiers and knights.  (Read 4297 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
So for awhile I have been pondering on the question of the rules of when a foot soldier encounters a knight on the battlefield. I know the general rules of combat for when a knight faces another knight. He would generally try to disarm and defeat, but not kill, his other knight. But has the permission to slay a man-at-arms of a lower status. What are the rules for the the foot soldier? Is he expected to disarm the knight, or to slay him? Or is there no rules at all (probably not the case though) when you are a simple soldier or man-at-arms?
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Question on the customs of war: Foot soldiers and knights.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-14, 15:48:32 »
And we're assuming no Crecy, Agincourt, or Golden Spurs like behavior here?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-14, 17:14:48 »
Nope, I'm talking about when the age of chivalry is not yet "dead"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-15, 00:34:17 »
Knights could kill other knights. No rules against it. Knights could be ransomed, so they were often worth more alive than dead. Ransom didn't have to be paid, but it was possible, of course.

No rules of engagement for foot soldiers vs knights. It may have been frowned upon, but certainly not illegal or anything like that.

King Richard III died on the battle field. He was on his horse when his horse was stuck in swampy ground, and was assaulted by a group. I vaguely recall hearing that it was blows struck by polearms, which makes sense since he was still on his horse. He was struck in the head repeatedly. He's been in the news recently and his skeleton confirmed 8 separate blows to the head. Chances are some, or all, of those blows came from common man-at-arms / halberdiers / etc.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-15, 02:34:48 »
Could a foot soldier ransom a knight? Also when you say frowned upon, do you mean the engagement itself, or the action of a foot soldier striking and defeating a knight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-15, 14:36:59 »
A foot soldier could claim ransom on a knight- but if said knight were of a high enough rank, the king (if present) could claim the ransom for himself.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€