"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Late Medieval Braes with a Braes Girdle  (Read 22203 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Late Medieval Braes with a Braes Girdle
« Reply #15 on: 2015-02-12, 17:45:44 »
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/8028065@N05/2280385089/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2015-02-13, 17:09:47 »
I know I wasn't directly addressed with the buckle question, but having played around with it a bit, I believe it is to keep the buckle from biting into soft flesh when doing substantial bending at the waist (picking something up off the ground, etc).

Being right handed, I found it easier to cinch up over my right hip. May not be an issue for people with less frontal abdominal protrusion than I have. ;)

With jeans, the buckle in front isn't a big deal since the fabric is thick and "sturdy" to an extent. With a single layer of linen, it was much less comfortable. I haven't integrated a strap and buckle *in* my braies yet, but I did try with just wearing a simple belt over top of them for experimentation, both in front and on on either hip.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2015-02-13, 21:32:42 »
May not be an issue for people with less frontal abdominal protrusion than I have. ;)

But that protrusion just shows how nobly wealthy and well-fed you are compared to those dirty peasants. You wouldn't want to destroy such a status symbol with back-breaking labor, would you? Flaunt your wealth!!
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #18 on: 2015-02-14, 15:41:51 »
Sir Ian,

What do think about this fellow's solution?  The brais are tied, but there is a separate belt with rings to support the hosen.  There evidently is some arch evidence for this from Wisbey.
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2015-02-14, 16:16:29 »
That fellow is Robert  MacPherson (Mac, the armorer).  It's his pattern that I based my braes on.  In that photo you're seeing a picture before he decided to build braes with an integral casing for the girdle.  Yes, there are unaccounted for brooches at Wisby that may have been used for that very purpose.  It doesn't alter the design of the braes or the braes girdle at all though.  I just have tons of points laying around and hose already configured to receive points, so I put points through my braes girdle holes instead of brooches, but you could certainly do it that way too.  One of the armourarchive discussions I have linked above in the first post contains Mac's and Will's discussion on the design of these braes.  Both are vastly more well researched on this topic than I.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-14, 16:21:06 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Ser Cor Volaire

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: 2017-03-12, 20:08:03 »
How different are 12th/13th century Braes? I am going to be wearing full padded mail Chausses and will be needing some substantial support.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #21 on: 2017-08-05, 17:24:10 »
Mac doesnt have a big hairy belly that would get caught up in that buckle either