"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: What' the worst physical pain you've ever experienced?  (Read 13333 times)

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
Re: What' the worst physical pain you've ever experienced?
« Reply #15 on: 2014-09-19, 15:06:55 »
I will second a kidney stone as the worst pain of my life.  I had my first while doing some archaology work on a remote Pacific island.  It took all night to pass it, without any medication or medical assistance.  Fortunatley, I figured out what it was early on and realized that I was not, as first thought, dying.

My most tramatic injury was a broken tibia while TDY in Alaska.  I was way out in the Thompson Pass when it happened.  My coworker was able to drive me to clinic in Valdez (who could do no surgery) where I waited all day for medivac flight to Anchorage.  After a bumpy flight over the Chugach Mountains, the surgeon in Anchorage put in a 8 inch plate and 15 screws, which I still carry to this day.  All this did not hurt as much as the kindey stone!

Sir Humphrey
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: 2014-10-01, 05:11:07 »
Wow, mine can't really compare but uuum. My worst pain was being blown up and getting heat flash on my right arm and face for 2 weeks, getting in a car accident that week and breaking 4 ribs, then having my ingrown toenail removed without any painkillers 5 days after the accident. I had to go to school like that while it was raining and my crutches slipped and then someone just stepped over me and I half ass used my crutches to get back up. I've been through some brutal ass kickings but I think that one is top. It actually made me tear up after I stood up.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #17 on: 2014-10-02, 21:21:30 »
Easy one. Infection behind my right knee that got so intense I needed to go to the ER to have it surgically sliced and drained. OUCH!!!
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Kenneth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: 2014-10-02, 21:29:26 »
Not sure wheter to say when my knee was dislocated 30 degrees to the side of the leg...or when it was put back without painkillers, in two pulls non the less.
Have yet to feel anything that painfull.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #19 on: 2014-10-03, 13:57:16 »

Yeah, knee dislocations aren't fun. Mine used to mildly dislocate occasionally when I was a teen, and I'd just pop it back into place myself and carry on. Ugh.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Kenneth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: 2014-10-03, 14:53:36 »
Mine's popped out about 15 times since bu thave popped back in by itself.
Sadly I was a fool and didn't use my crutches the first time, so my back got crooked and led to a back injury later on, which have now returned.

Lesson learned: listen to the doctors.

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #21 on: 2014-10-04, 02:01:34 »
Sounds like we are all a bunch of crippled gimps!
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
« Reply #22 on: 2015-07-24, 17:52:39 »
The worst physical pain I have ever experienced was when a doctor cut into my foot before the anesthetic could take effect.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sir Dimitry

• The Black Wolf of Carpathia
  • New Forum Member
    • Silver Knights Jousting & Equestrian Martial Arts
« Reply #23 on: 2015-07-28, 23:19:29 »
Definitely not as impressive as some of you.

About 20+ years ago I was Larping.... Yes... Larping

Anyway, we had just gotten up on a Saturday morning (Full weekend game, In character, the whole time) And we were going to breakfast when we were set upon by 6-8 “Beastmen”. We were fighting them off and I dropped my first one. He landed at my feet. I looked over my shoulder as I heard another chugging up full tilt behind me. Big guy with a 2 handed club.

My brain says “hey idiot, get away from this body at your feet or you'll trip over him.” So I run forward to get some distance on the guy bearing down on me like a locomotive... And I adroitly trip over the body I was trying to get away from.

My brain now says: “Nice going ass, now use some of those 10 years of judo and forward roll out of this so you don't take this on the chin.” However, my body was much closer to the ground than I had thought and I basically dove, point-of-right-shoulder first, into the hard packed dirt of the road. It sounded like a giant knuckle popping. Out and then in.

Everyone else heard the pop and the fight stopped.  I waved them off with my left hand and walked over to a tree. I “felt” it but it was really dull. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. Anyway, as I caught my breath I rolled my right should to get the kinks out (as you do) and it hurt so bad that I did not feel it but I threw up. My brain said: “You can't handle this, moron, so I'll just make you vomit instead”

Now of course I should have gone to the hospital, but several of the players were Drs or EMTs. All said that it was soft tissue damage and all the ER would do is put in a sling. So I put it in a sling and played (and fought) the rest of the weekend... with my left arm. Shoulder still gives me issues if I sleep on it wrong.

I have broken arms, dislocated elbows, been thrown/knocked off of galloping horses and myriad other craziness. But that was by far the most painful injury I've ever had.

In retrospect, I should have taken it on the chin.
Violentia Aureus

Sampf

• Forum Member
  • New Hampshire Knight
« Reply #24 on: 2015-08-07, 04:29:48 »
I haven't experienced that much pain because falling things and other pain causers always seem to miss me.
The worst I have felt would have to be while on the job in my grandfathers motor shop, I was carrying an eighty pound electric motor and I dropped it... On my lower right leg and foot from about five feet.
I don't know how I didn't break anything  but still it wasn't fun
Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

westcoastgio

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: 2015-09-11, 15:56:31 »
having a molar removed by a dentist who didn't believe me when I told him the novocaine hadn't kicked in yet.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2015-09-11, 23:03:16 »
having a molar removed by a dentist who didn't believe me when I told him the novocaine hadn't kicked in yet.

:o Ouch!

"Doc punch me please punch me. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUNCH ME!!!!"
Fall down seven, get up eight.