"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: What' the worst physical pain you've ever experienced?  (Read 13339 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
 I'm in a Sick Puppy Mood right now. What is the worst physical pain you've ever experienced?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: What' the worst physical pain you've ever experienced?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-07, 03:01:32 »

The worst? Being awakened in the middle of the night with what I thought was a kidney stone. Nope, my doctor and I both agree it was more like intestinal obstruction. All I could do was curl up in a ball on the floor for several hours in the middle of the night, until it subsided.

I've had some tooth pain that was in that category too. There just isn't a lot that compares to a dental abscess.

My wife gets kidney stones. I've seen her do the "writhing on the floor" thing too.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-07, 18:22:01 »
Long story.

I was driving alone late at night when I was hit by the rear end of a tractor-trailer. It lifted my car off the ground on one side, dragging it 31 feet (as evidenced by the skid marks from only the driver's side tires) before it finally released my car, then running over the front of my car, and sending it head on into the concrete jersey wall in-between the median. I was knocked unconscious, pulled out of the car by a good samaritan who stopped, called the cops, and got me out.

The EMTs had concerns of possible broken ribs / vertebrae, concussion, and possible neck damage. I went out of there strapped to a backboard with my head strapped down. Ambulance took me to the hospital, of course, I had some x-rays; somehow no broken bones, and only needed 4 stitches in my leg. That was from the dashboard being crushed during the head-on collision with the concrete wall, and the dashboard dug hard into my shin and hit bone. At the time I didn't remember what happened at all; I got to see what happened on the morning news in the hospital while waiting on x-ray results and whatever else they did that I can't remember; it was a four vehicle accident. My car was totaled, and the cop who came to the hospital to get a statement from me said he was surprised that anyone walked away from my car.

There was road work ahead, and 3 tractor-trailers in front of me. The first one slowed down. The second one apparently didn't, and rear-ended the one in front; the guy in the second one died on impact. The third one, the one in front of me, saw the collision and swerved left to avoid hitting them, which was when he cut into my lane and the rest of the mess happened. The impact was so bad that it pushed part of the frame and engine into the passenger seat, as well as collapsing some of the rear of the car due to the momentum and all the heavy stuff I had in the trunk (I was driving cross-country).

The doctor dropped me off at the airport later that day and I flew home. I had a huge bruise on my chest from the steering wheel, armpit to armpit, the stitches in my shin, and general soreness all over. The chest bruises were immensely painful due to a medical condition I have (pectus excavatum) which makes me extra sensitive to chest injuries. It hurt to walk. My dad picked me up at the airport and took me back to the house. I sulked in my failure to get to California to meet a girl I was talking to online, and slowly drifted off to sleep.

When I woke up the next morning, it was only then I really knew what it felt like to get hit by a truck. The adrenaline was gone, and my body said "hey, idiot, how ya feelin!!". My family left for vacation later that day; I refused to go, thinking of the agony of being cramped into the van and driving for 8+ hours when I could barely get comfortable for 30 minutes while laying down. I wasn't going to say "I screwed up really bad but please stay and take care of me"; I left 2 days after I got my driver's license to drive to California, without anyone's approval or knowledge, and just left a note saying I'm going to Cali and hoping I can stay with my cousin when I get there.

For a few days, it was painful to get out of bed, painful to walk up and down the steps, almost painful just to be awake sometimes... and now, over 15 years later, when I walk more than a mile or so, I get an acid-like burning in my shin where I used to have the stitches. That is, without a doubt, the worst pain I've ever felt.

But it taught me two things; know and respect your limits when driving, and the lady who stopped to help was probably my guardian angel. I never saw her car, and never saw her leave. It was roughly 2am in the morning, so traffic was very light. Maybe I was just woozy from the unconsciousness; maybe guardian angels are real.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-07, 18:22:22 by Sir James A »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-07, 19:32:43 »
Got hit on the Sciatic nerve. Lit me up bad. What was worse was when the Piriformis Muscle that the nerve passed through spasmed I almost blacked out, puked, screamed, slammed my fist through the earth & froze solid all at the same time. The strike was horrid, the afterblow was worse. It's worse than a broken finger, worse than dislocating 4 ribs at once. Almost worse than than the blinding mind numbing pain of MTBI headaches. Once tried to work on my muffler while crawling under my truck with what turned out to be those same 4 dislocated ribs. I had to stop to cry many many times. Still the nerve strike was worse.

9 years later and it still hurts & can incapacitate me for weeks sometimes.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-01, 17:27:43 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-08, 10:03:06 »
Sounds like someone needs some Metamucil & Pepto.  ;D
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-09, 03:19:35 »
“THE” operation after I (and my bride) decided to stop having children.

Recovery, not so fun…   :o
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-09-09, 13:36:52 »
Wow James, you did have a guardian angel that night.  Little old ladies rarely go out for a drive at 2am.  :)

Worst pain I've ever felt was a sudden onset migraine that hit me while I was driving.  My first clue?  Oncoming headlights seemed like lightknives skewering me in the eye- and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it.  If I closed my eyes I would've had an accident; thank God my wife was with me.  I could barely pull over and get out to get in the other side; think I reclined the seat all the way and closed my eyes.  Felt like I was going to throw up it hurt so bad.

Doc said it was stress-related (had gotten the news that my eldest daughter's biological father contacted her on FB; he hadn't seen her since she was a year old, what the hell did he want with her 17 years later?); haven't had one since and THANK GOD EVERY DAY for that.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2014-09-10, 13:15:56 »

Holy crap, Sir James! I know you've talked about the accident in passing, but wow. You're really lucky to be alive and one piece after that.

Sir William, yeah those migraines can be very sudden. Glad you don't get them regularly like that. I get migraines, but they're pretty few and far between these days, since I've identified my food triggers.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-09-10, 20:05:50 »
A food can trigger a migraine?  Now that's bad news, I love to eat.  I'm glad to hear you're not getting them regularly Sir Edward- just the one was more than enough for me.  I can't recall having felt that helpless...ever.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2014-09-12, 12:58:05 »
Yep, there can be all sorts of triggers for people, and everyone is a little different. Stress, caffeine withdrawal, disrupting sleep or eating schedules, low blood sugar, loud noises, bright lights, certain foods, weather changes, and so on.

« Last Edit: 2014-09-12, 12:58:32 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-09-12, 13:57:00 »
A food can trigger a migraine?  Now that's bad news, I love to eat.  I'm glad to hear you're not getting them regularly Sir Edward- just the one was more than enough for me.  I can't recall having felt that helpless...ever.

My sister-in-law and her mother both get blindingly painful migraines from spicy foods.  I would personally choose death because I love spicy foods, but hey that's me.  It's kind of funny because my brother-in-law loves spicy foods so he usually has an array of hot sauces to add to food since it can't be prepared hot.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-09-13, 21:06:37 »
When I touched fire by accident when I was lighting a candle with a match. Burns seem to affect me worse and redheads are naturally more sensitive to burning pain, while being more resistant to other kinds of pain. Hence why I never want to burn to death.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #12 on: 2014-09-13, 23:30:41 »
that is a myth that even myth busters proved false

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #13 on: 2014-09-14, 18:04:11 »
Kidney stones was the worst pain I had and worst them being inside was passing them...worst pain in the world...

Second worst pain was being woken up in the middle of the night to the news that my mom had passed away..still hurts...I don't think this pain will ever go away..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-09-15, 00:26:33 »
Holy crap, Sir James! I know you've talked about the accident in passing, but wow. You're really lucky to be alive and one piece after that.

Yeah, I don't usually mention it because it was a trail of stupid ideas that led up to it. Tends to only come up when I'm whining about my knees or back pain. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent