"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: Hypothetical Workshop Event  (Read 5158 times)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Hypothetical Workshop Event
« on: 2014-08-27, 19:59:06 »
This is completely a hypothetical suggestion just to see if the interest is there and if the logistics are feasible. I was wondering about the possibility of a bunch of us getting together at someone's house, preferably someone who owns a bunch of tools, (I *might* be able to host) for the purpose of working on stuff we need for our kits and other projects (shields, scabbards, leather stuff, camp furniture, sewing, etc.). While I doubt we would actually finish whatever projects we have, I figured it would be great getting our minds, tools, and skills together to help each other out and make some good progress.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Hypothetical Workshop Event
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-27, 22:41:52 »
I've done that a couple times before. Something you want to work on in particular?

Edit: It's usually more of a "project" day that ends up with us hitting each other with swords, so, fair warning ;)
« Last Edit: 2014-08-27, 22:42:34 by Sir James A »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-28, 14:52:27 »
I've done that a couple times before. Something you want to work on in particular?

Edit: It's usually more of a "project" day that ends up with us hitting each other with swords, so, fair warning ;)

I've only made one of these impromptu events at Sir James' house but I had a blast!  I'm hoping to make the next one.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-01, 22:44:31 »
I could also host if that's more central for DC area folks...
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-03, 22:21:19 »
So what kind of projects does everyone have that they want to work on and/or want help or feedback with?

Something you want to do, but don't have tools for? (aside from something like a forge...)

Days of Knights is coming up in 5 weeks, and MD Renn Fest has already started!

I can host, or we can meet at Martyns.

What day would be good? 20th? 21st? 27th? 28th? (Baron, maybe add a poll on here for people to vote on a day)

Also, I can probably do a basic sword sharpening class if there's enough interest. I was smacking pool noodles with my Talhoffer (gasp) because it was so dull it was jealous of my butter knives. Really, really dull. At WMA class last weekend I learned how to sharpen it, and it's a world of difference, without even getting to the ultra-fine grits yet. It's easy to do: just takes a little time, a simple small belt sander ($45 at harbor freight) and a few various grits of belt; $50 worth will probably last your life. They come in 10 packs so you could split cost with someone and each take 5 of each set ($25 for 25 belts).

Plus, then we have sharp swords to cut things with, so there's that. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-04, 20:27:03 »
Sword sharpening 101?  Sign me up!

What month and day is good for all?  A poll might be useful.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”