"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 19534 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Mass Effect 3
« Reply #30 on: 2014-10-14, 13:48:22 »
After playing it through, watch this...

It's not a spoiler, except that it has lots of general imagery of the characters.

I watched it before playing, and I was like "ok, that's nicely done". But after playing, while you're still in that awe-struck state after completing all three of them and seeing the ending credits, this song can drive you to tears. The good kind. Bittersweet, wonderful tears, mixed with a multitude of emotions. It's amazing.

Her blending of several musical themes from the series is just BRILLIANT.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-14, 13:58:31 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2014-10-15, 11:58:29 »
Have you listened to some of her other covers?  Her voice has a haunting quality- much like Amy Lee (but w/out the incredible range, so far as I can tell anyways); she did a few of the Skyrim tavern songs that came out better than what's in the game.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
« Reply #32 on: 2015-06-30, 18:20:25 »
I am probably late posting on this topic, but hey, I love the Mass Effect Trilogy. I got Mass Effect 1 on a whim because it was in the bargain bin. I had heard about but never played it. As soon as I started playing, I knew I was in for something great. Going through the trilogy was a wonderfully engaging experience. The decisions that I had to make in those games were truly harrowing. There legitimately times when I would ponder choices for upwards of ten minutes before making my decision. These were usually the points where I felt someone was going to die if I messed up, (and they did). Mass Effect, for me anyway, is better than Star Wars. The immersion factor is amazing. Mass Effect 3 is my favorite. They worked a lot of the problems from 1 and 2. Plus, the scale of that game is astounding! The systematic genocide and/or enslavement of all sentient life in the universe? The stakes don't get much higher than that. I would probably buy Mass effect all over again if it comes out for the Xbox One.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #33 on: 2015-07-03, 14:10:56 »

No worries on bringing up old topics. Here we usually prefer that, over starting a new one.

Yeah, it was engaging to a degree unlike anything else I've played. I agonized over choices. I rushed home from work on most days because there was a war going on, and they needed me, and why doesn't anyone else understand that!?!  :)

It was such a rich and vibrant universe, with characters that can make you really care about what happens to them. And I actually miss them... I don't think any other game series has ever done that to me before. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: 2015-07-03, 14:57:34 »
I know the feeling. It is too easy to get attached to the characters in Mass Effect. Especially Mass Effect 2. The loyalty missions really fleshed out each characters backgrounds. Garrus Vakarian was the man! That is a brother in arms if there ever was one. Tali was also one of my favorites. To go against your entire race to fight for what you believe in. Rock on Tali.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #35 on: 2015-07-04, 01:19:17 »
Dang, I still really need to get and play this series. It sounds right up my alley. And Assassin's Creed. And Red Dead Redemption. And....

But hey...at least I finally got around to the Uncharted series, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Witcher series. Slow progress is still progress. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: 2015-07-04, 06:00:08 »
Assassin's Creed is fun, if a bit repetitive. Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game though. Very immersive and very entertaining. There are always things to do. The world is huge and open, much like the the western area was, so just getting from point A to point B is an adventure. I highly recommend that game.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #37 on: 2015-07-06, 17:11:10 »
Red Dead Redemption is absolutely incredible. It's got incredible writing, a great script, and one hell of a memorable cast of characters. Plus its just really fun. You should watch the review:

D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: 2015-07-06, 19:19:19 »
Hahaha! Good ol' Yahtzee.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2015-07-08, 16:33:24 »
I played all of the aforementioned games and all of them are great, some in their own way (like AC) and some, just because of 'teh awesumness'; RDR was what an open-world Western themed game should be.  Its predecessor, Red Dead Revolver opened that door; the less-acclaimed GUN was also pretty ok, if only because the Punisher was the lead vocal (Tom Jane).  But Redemption was everything I ever wanted in a Western-themed game...it had it all.  I even liked the fact that you only had one experience with a car- and it was like a half mile journey at best.  It was really well written, well acted and well developed.  Loved it.  The best AC game, beyond the first (which, being during the Crusades means its automatically my favorite) is Black Flag.  Oh, the epic story arc of Ezio was awe inspiring, but the most fun I've ever had in an AC game was in Black Flag.  You play as a sailor turned rogue and its a pretty good story but the best part of that game was the open world- and the best way to traverse said open world was by boat.  The sailing aspect was so much fun I logged more hours just sailing (and yes, attacking other ships, and strongholds and towns and islands- you get the drift, so to speak); upgrading your ship with newer, better and more- armaments, shielding, etc etc.  I remember when I first crossed shipping lanes with a Legendary battleship- purely by accident and I barely scraped by the lives of myself and my crewmen!  And they sang sea shanties- that you had to find first on land.  The story became second string once I got on that boat.  Oh man, it was pure awesome.

So the latest, Unity- it was good, nice story, great visuals in revolutionary era France- but it was all ON FOOT.  No horseback sequences, no carriages, no boats- just the huge island of France and everywhere you went was by foot.  Or the teleport cages, but those don't make traveling fun, only expedient.

As for pure epic-ness, Mass Effect hit me like when I first read the Hobbit, or saw Star Wars- took me a while to get my head around it.  There have been few games that caused me to take a step back and attempt to see the larger picture- Grand Theft Auto 3, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Assassins Creed I, just a few that come to mind.  Games that made me think, not just on what was going on at the time, but what was to come, and how to effect it in such a way as to be what I wanted it to be.  A lot of games make that promise, but a lot also do not deliver in that regard.

The question is- how much further can they go in games before it gets old hat?  There's only so many flavors of fetch-it quests you can go on before they start to mash together; multi-step fetches get old after a while, too.  I've seen serious themes explored in games (The Walking Dead series of games, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, etc), in some instances that made me cringe.  As I go on, I find myself wanting that visceral experience over style or popped out graphics, you know?  Ten years ago I would've been salivating at the idea of a new Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat (or Killer Instinct, used to love that one) but now I've no desire to play any of those.  They look great, but my twitch skills have been slowly perishing and tbh, I need more substance than simple fighters will give me.  Guess I'm getting old after all.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #40 on: 2015-07-09, 15:54:20 »
After seeing that Napoleon has a British accent in Unity, I can't bring myself to play it. Then again, I was never a real fan of the AC series. The whole AC series seems like something the History Channel would make: Ancient aliens, conspiracy theories, end of the world, and a smattering overly romanticized history. I hated Conner in every way I could hate a character. And I got sick and tired of being an errand boy and not an assassin.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2015-07-09, 17:42:15 »
Had it been overly boring and replete with historically accurate data, it would not have made the sales it did, I'd wager.  FWIW, I wasn't a fan of Connor either- so much so, that I quit the game 8 hours in and only once tried to continue (at Sir James' behest, as he'd noted it was worthy just for the story) but I just couldn't get behind the guy.  As for Napoleon's accent, I hadn't really noticed- just chalked it up to the Animus' translators.

I'm with you on errand boy quests, but they do serve a purpose in letting you get to know the environment.  I typically explored on my own anyway just to see what was out there.