"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: SCA?  (Read 17707 times)

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
SCA?
« on: 2014-08-17, 02:47:36 »
SCA?

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: SCA?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-17, 03:13:38 »
My only gripe with SCA is the ungodly amount of farbiness. Sure there are some authentic groups/units, but it seems the vast majority are there for fun rather than for historic interpretation and presentation. You'll find everyone's got a strongly held opinion on the spectrum of authenticity.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-17, 03:50:32 »
I just don't know what it even is. Don't even know what the initials mean.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-17, 04:04:47 »
Society , creative, anachronism
« Last Edit: 2014-08-17, 05:11:07 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-17, 04:17:16 »
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-17, 04:47:50 »
Here is the Society for Creative Anachronism's Newcomers Portal.

http://welcome.sca.org/

You'll find a few members here. Me among them.

-Thorsteinn Raudskeggr
I live in the Province of the Silver Desert which is in the Principality of Cynagua in the Kingdom of the West.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-17, 04:48:50 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: 2014-08-17, 05:34:55 »
I live in Huffman so I guess Gate's Edge is the closest. This sounds and looks awesome. Just two questions, what's the average age in general, and how exactly do I go about becoming a member?

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2014-08-17, 06:19:42 »
I live in Huffman so I guess Gate's Edge is the closest. This sounds and looks awesome. Just two questions, what's the average age in general, and how exactly do I go about becoming a member?

Huffman (State), Gates Edge (Barony)?

Average age varies depending on location (Reno's is higher than Sacramento for example).

While you don't need to be a member to come to events, it is only $35/yr to join. Go to here to join: https://members.sca.org/apps/#Join

I've posted to the SCA Facebook page for folks in your area.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/scadiscussiongroup/
« Last Edit: 2014-08-17, 06:21:26 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: 2014-08-17, 06:28:49 »
Would it be OK if I sent you a friend request on fb?

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #9 on: 2014-08-17, 14:45:54 »
I live in the Barony of al-Barran in the kingdom of the Outlands...I am here for anything you need and I am in service to whatever you need...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2014-08-19, 03:08:19 »
Though I'm not a member of the group, I'm part of the barony of Bahkail.
One of the southernmost of the eastern kingdom baronys, and I am not terribly far from the one of the famous annual Sca events, pennsic.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #11 on: 2014-08-19, 03:41:07 »
My only gripe with SCA is the ungodly amount of farbiness. Sure there are some authentic groups/units, but it seems the vast majority are there for fun rather than for historic interpretation and presentation. You'll find everyone's got a strongly held opinion on the spectrum of authenticity.

It’s true that there’s a very wide range of historically accurate kits in the SCA.  I believe it’s due to a combination of:

A) (Intentionally) loosely stated regulations
B) Duration of your membership (generally, longer = more accurate)
C) Time available for the hobby
D) Funds available for the hobby
E) What you personally want out of it (court follower, fighting, hanging out, education, classes, partying, etc.)
F) A 1,000 year time frame from 600 to 1600
F) All the above

With 30,000 members in any organization you’re going to get a wide range of interests and involvement.  Heck, even the small Mercenary band I belong to has members up and down this range.

There are strong opinions held by many in regards to historical accuracy and which direction the SCA should go in the future.  After two decades I’ve come to the conclusion that each individual must plot their own course.  I take care of what I can with my limited means while remaining true to my greatest attraction to the SCA:  Hitting people with rattan, repeatedly.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: 2014-08-19, 04:13:14 »
Mercenary band? This greatly interests me.

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #13 on: 2014-08-19, 15:48:47 »
I am a member of the Barony of Namron in the Kingdom of Ansteorra. I have also found a broad spectrum of accuracy or interest in accuracy. Honestly it fulfills come of the things I am looking for, for one the people are all awesome. I have never known people who were so very welcoming right from the start, but as far as some of the rules like your king or queen is chosen only through combat and if you want to be a knight you must do armored combat and do it well. I can understand sort of the latter (although personally I think rapier should also qualify) I really don't understand the former. Being able to kick the butt of everyone else with a stick is not a solid basis for the head of government. It just makes you the biggest bully on the playground IMHO.

I am very new to SCA but if I can be of assistance i certainly will try.

Oh as far as mercenary groups, i belong to 2 ish. :D but I can't talk about one of them, sorry.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #14 on: 2014-08-19, 15:56:54 »
Does it count if I am part of the Foxtail Mercenary Company. It may be airsoft, but hey, a mercenary is a mercenary.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max