Main > The Workshop

Suspending a Leg Harness

(1/14) > >>

Ian:
Leg Harness suspension should be comfortable!  Since this is sometimes a hard concept to explain I just made a video instead.

The first video explains the principle and theory of comfortable suspension:

The second video focuses on historically defensible ways to do it in the late 14th and early 15th century.

Sir Ulrich:
Looks like I may have to try the waist belt idea for my chausses though that will require some crafting. Good video though, now I realize you don't have to lace the pourpoint ALL the way up now, that will make things a lot easier for my chausses now.

Sir Rodney:
Thanks for posting the informative video.  A short vid is worth a thousand (or more) words.

I learned three main points (pun intended):

I don’t have to spiral lace my pourpoint all the way up.   :)
You’re much thinner than I.   ;)
I need to get off my butt and make a properly patterned arming coat that looks & performs half as well as yours!    :o

Ian:
For a full arming doublet you should lace it all the way up.  I just didn't bother to lace that vest up in the video to further emphasize the point that it's not actively contributing to the suspension of the legs if and only if the garment fits tight enough at the waist and hips. 

Theoretically, if you wear one of those vests, you can literally cut the shoulder seams completely and it should still function 100%.  The shoulders don't do anything, but I guess it would look weird if you just had a little mini-corset on to suspend your legs :)  The upper half of a full arming doublet does serve a purpose though and needs to be laced.

Sir Patrick:
Great vid!  Thanks for sharing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version