"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Jericho the freelancer here  (Read 22088 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: Jericho the freelancer here
« Reply #15 on: 2014-08-16, 03:08:30 »
Hail and well met.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: 2014-08-16, 04:05:27 »
Well I've got an "armor set" picked out but it's for barbarian look. Gonna buy it piece by piece.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-08-16, 06:48:01 »
So... Pre 3rd cen Gaul or Hun?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: 2014-08-16, 18:25:20 »
Really not sure. I couldn't find a set that I wanted to I figured I'd order different pieces and then work on them and customize them myself. The pieces are a visored barbute helm, gorget w/ pauldrons, gauntlets, a tasset belt, greaves, gambeson, coffin shield, and an ulfbert style sword. However I decided I want more of a nights look, but without having too much that I can't dress myself.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-08-17, 01:35:41 »
That's sadly a very large range of options. I think you should go under the armory section and take a look at the "So you want to buy some armor?? Here's a 'get started' guide!!" And "DOs and DONTs when planning and buying a set of armor (harness)" posts. That way you can get a general idea of knights over the ages and get a good idea of how to approach the way you make your kit. That way you know what you want before you buy something and later realize you made a mistake. Believe me, I'm guilt of it.

Then when you think you are ready, you can make a post under the armory section. That way everyone can pitch in and help you make your kit properly.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2014-08-17, 01:51:09 »
Fun fact: Barbarian, from the Greek Barbaros(βάρβαρος / βάρβαροι), meant "One who does not speak Greek" as all the other tongues were just babbling thus "Bar Bar" which is a nonsensical syllable in Greek as that is, to them, what all other non-civilized folks were saying.

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: 2014-08-17, 02:32:21 »
Oh.  BTW I was going to get the stuff from a site, medievalcollictibles.com but before I do I want to know if their "function armour" is worth it. I just got my first job at DQ and I start next week, and I don't want to buy a bunch of non usable armor.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2014-08-17, 03:15:15 »
I recommend kultofathena instead, it a more reliable site to buy stuff from. They usually have a good description of the product and keep it at a good price. They are also quick and honest in responses to any emails you send to them. I believe its safe to say that me, and many others, would not recommend medievalcollectibles to purchase stuff from. The best place is from perhaps an actual armorer. Also, it depends on what you plan to use the armor for. Is this for reenactment, SCA, or just to look cool!

You can browse around a bit:http://www.kultofathena.com

I have purchased many things from there and have been satisfied with their products. But it also depends on the maker of the product, for that can affect the quality of it.

If I may say, its best if you purchase the necessary under garmets first, for that will allow you to build up your kit. It also helps with measurements, that way you know the size armor you need to fit on your gambeson and other padded arming ware.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-18, 15:19:05 by Page Aiden »

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2014-08-17, 03:36:20 »
Welcome to the forum!
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: 2014-08-17, 04:45:23 »
I checked out kult of Athena and the sell a lot of the same stuff. Medievalcollectibles seems to just have a wider variety.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2014-08-17, 04:50:21 »
I don't want to buy a bunch of non usable armor.

There is the question "What are you going to use it for?"

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: 2014-08-17, 05:05:57 »
I want to be able to wear it for reenactments, but for that it has to be my size and I of course atleast want to walk in it, its got to be flexible to a point. I want to do sword/shield sparring, but its highly questionable if I even will.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2014-08-17, 05:19:32 »
How old are you? Where are you? Do you have any physical limitations? How much are you looking to spend? Are you adept at making things or willing to learn?

FreelancerJericho

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: 2014-08-17, 05:48:33 »
18 :( ,Huffman TX, long story but my right foot is a bit messed up and will be for a while, 3000 and I'm definitely willing to learn.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #29 on: 2014-08-18, 02:50:08 »
Just outside Austin Texas is the shop of Therion Arms.  I recommend checking out Hal Siegel’s shop as he’s well known in the industry and has a great reputation.

The previous recommendation for KOA is solid as well.  They are great people with rock solid customer service.

Also take a look at Windrose Armoury out of Snowflake, Arizona.  I’ve done a lot of business over the years with them and find their products and customer service to be top notch.

Everyone on this forum is very helpful and will go out of their way to give you tips.  The most important of which is “take your time.”  You may have money burning a hole in your pocket, but resist the urge to splurge.  Take a step back, look around, talk to people locally, find an SCA group, find a HEMA group, and put together a plan.  Read books from your local library, on line, or borrow from a friend.  There are great reference lists on this forum as well as others.  I know it doesn’t sound exciting, but the end result will be better.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber