"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: A KSCA needs us. Please help Sir Brand McClellan.  (Read 5627 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
A KSCA needs us. Please help Sir Brand McClellan.
« on: 2014-07-28, 15:01:25 »
I hate to ask this, but a friend of mine in California just got some bad news and he needs our help. If you can great, if not that's OK too. I want to help him as he has been an inspiration for years. Jeff Galli, ska Count Sir Brand McClellan, is a member of Team USA that went to Spain for the International Medieval Combat Federation tournament and won gold in the Polearm division. Please help if you can. His sister lisa, ska Viscountess Sir Bryne McClellan has set up a paypal account for those who wish to donate money the paypal address in Brand1066@hotmail.com

As in the article he needs to go to Germany to get the surgery he needs as it is not offered in the USA.

"Earlier this month, after repeated neck problems, Brand sought medical attention for what had become chronic neck pain. After several doctor visits and an MRI scan, Brand was finally diagnosed with severe degenerative disk disease, calcification of the spine, and severe disk herniation compressing the spinal cord C5/6, C6/7. Brand was informed by his doctors that even the slightest trauma such as a minor car accident, fall, or a giant bear hug from his brother-in-law could lead to paralysis...."
http://www.gofundme.com/c6y8xw

West Kingdom Crown 2012 Duke Alden of Wolverton vs Viscount Brand McClellan
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: A KSCA needs us. Please help Sir Brand McClellan.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-28, 18:59:25 »

Wow, yeah, that can be serious stuff. My dad had the same thing, and the surgery was a complete success. He has a nice piece of titanium in there now.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-28, 19:25:43 »
The hard search has paid off. Brand has been in communication with a senior neurosurgeon in Germany who has agreed to take his case. The surgeon has advised a multiple disc replacement, a procedure that has and is performed in Germany but is not done here in the US. The surgeon believes that this will not only help Brand with his current issues, but also fully believes that within three months this will all be a distant memory, not even feeling as if he every had surgery and continue his life as he wishes. Of course there are always those “what ifs,” but this was by far the greatest news we could get.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-28, 19:26:12 by Thorsteinn »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-29, 12:54:21 »
I'm surprised he can't get surgery here. Is it an insurance/payment issue? My dad had it done here in the DC area. They replaced his discs with bone material (I forget where from, maybe from his pelvis or something), bolted together with a titanium plate. Once the bone fragments fuse (3 or 4 vertebrae fused together), the titanium is no longer needed, but stays in since it's more invasive to remove it.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-29, 12:54:56 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-29, 17:20:33 »
The surgery does not yet have FDA approval. Guess that means more medical tourism.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-30, 15:24:27 »
The surgery does not yet have FDA approval. Guess that means more medical tourism.

Not sure I'm buying that. What my dad had done was fairly routine. There must be something different about this case and its procedure. On the surface, it sounds exactly like the diagnosis my dad had.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-30, 15:25:19 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-30, 16:15:12 »
WOOT!!! :D :D :D

GoFundMe is up to $7500 already!

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-30, 21:46:58 »
I hate to ask this, but a friend of mine in California just got some bad news and he needs our help. If you can great, if not that's OK too. I want to help him as he has been an inspiration for years. Jeff Galli, ska Count Sir Brand McClellan, is a member of Team USA that went to Spain for the International Medieval Combat Federation tournament and won gold in the Polearm division. Please help if you can. His sister lisa, ska Viscountess Sir Bryne McClellan has set up a paypal account for those who wish to donate money the paypal address in Brand1066@hotmail.com

As in the article he needs to go to Germany to get the surgery he needs as it is not offered in the USA.

"Earlier this month, after repeated neck problems, Brand sought medical attention for what had become chronic neck pain. After several doctor visits and an MRI scan, Brand was finally diagnosed with severe degenerative disk disease, calcification of the spine, and severe disk herniation compressing the spinal cord C5/6, C6/7. Brand was informed by his doctors that even the slightest trauma such as a minor car accident, fall, or a giant bear hug from his brother-in-law could lead to paralysis...."
http://www.gofundme.com/c6y8xw

West Kingdom Crown 2012 Duke Alden of Wolverton vs Viscount Brand McClellan

Dude if I could help a fellow SCAdian out I would but all I can do right now is pray...and that I will do!! Hope he gets better!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-31, 12:41:38 »

Absolutely, thoughts and prayers to him for sure! It's a very, very serious condition if not corrected.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-08-03, 01:09:37 »
So Go Fund Me is up to $10,500 and there is an auction at Pennsic & in the West Kingdom to help out. :D

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #10 on: 2014-08-13, 15:54:34 »
My heart goes out to him and his family, this must be a terribly difficult time for all of them but huzzah on the raising of the funds! Here is hoping that it gets enough and the surgery not only goes smoothly but that it causes a completely correction of the problem! Thoughts and good energy his way for sure!

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-08-14, 03:51:22 »
Prayers and donation go to him this night
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"