Main > The Round Table

MN Wolf Center - Viking Helmet Die Error?

<< < (2/2)

Sir Rodney:
I didn’t include the full narrative, but they (MN Wolf Center) are stating the top right plate shows “berserkers … dressed in wolf helmets”.

As Vincent noted, several clues are driving my determination of boar helmet crests.  Namely: the curved tusk near the rear of the mouth, curly boar-like tail, the crest of short hairs starting at the shoulders, short & powerful legs, and a pig-like snout.

I understand the artist(s) who created these dies are not trying to be anatomically correct, just look at the depiction of “bears” in the top left plate.  That being said, the plate in question sure depicts boar crested helmets to me.

Sir Douglas:
I could kind of see how they could be mistaken for wolves at a glance, but they look like piggies to me, too.

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2014-07-21, 18:43:22 ---Those look like boar to me. They also don't look like they're wearing the clothing to make them Úlfheðinn.

--- End quote ---

The Wikipedia entry on Úlfheðinn is very interesting.  They show one of the same plates (MN Wolf Center bottom left) and describe it thus:

--- Quote ---In addition, the helm-plate press from Torslunda depicts a scene of Odin with a berserker—"a wolf skinned warrior with the apparently one-eyed dancer in the bird-horned helm, which is generally interpreted as showing a scene indicative of a relationship between berserkgang... and the god Odin"—with a wolf pelt and a spear as distinguishing features.
--- End quote ---

Which leads me to believe that the MN Wolf Center simply referenced the wrong plate in their display altogether.    ::)

Lord Dane:
They might look like piggies but do they taste like piggies ... Get me a fork.

Sir Nate:
Tusks and the dorsal fur on the back.
Definitely a boar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version