"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: How to put on 12th century armor  (Read 32006 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: How to put on 12th century armor
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-22, 17:22:39 »
I wear padding, but that is because I'm unused to bearing the weight; I've no doubt that if I wore it regularly, it wouldn't be as onerous.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #16 on: 2014-07-22, 17:41:35 »
I always assumed the striped sleeves peeking out from the mufflers on some effigies was a quilted/padded garment. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

That effigy is mid to late 13th century.

Ah, right. We're talking the 1100s here. Got confused, sorry. :-[

These guys are late 12th century. While it looks to me that they have the same striped sleeves, it's not quite as clear and compelling as the later effigies. I'm not quite as convinced on these ones, but...maybe?

Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #17 on: 2014-07-22, 19:18:04 »
The armoring sequence also depicts the second half of the 13th century, not the 12th, if it's showing a great helm.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-22, 19:18:23 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2014-07-22, 20:39:23 »
The armoring sequence also depicts the second half of the 13th century, not the 12th, if it's showing a great helm.

12th century would be showing nasal style helms.  Although this manuscript claims to be dated to the year 1200 and shows full head coverage, but it's the exception not the rule if that date is even correct:

However, early great helms pop up in the early 13th century from multiple regions and sources, not necessarily just the second half.

I have no idea when the first evidence for a padded or quilted underlayer for maille appears though.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-22, 20:42:30 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #19 on: 2014-07-22, 20:44:40 »
What about early pot helmets or barrel styles??
Still looking for something more accurate or closer to 12th century but I found this effigy dated 1217.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-22, 21:01:29 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2014-07-22, 20:51:59 »
What about early pot helmets or barrel styles??

Aside from that one outlier, they start to pop up in art around 1215ish...

1215 Italian Fresco:

1225 Switzerland:

~1215-1240 France:

1225-1229 Germany:

1230 France:

1217 England:

1240 England:
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2014-07-22, 21:04:14 »
However, early great helms pop up in the early 13th century from multiple regions and sources, not necessarily just the second half.

True, what I should have said was that later style great-helms appear in the second half of the 13th. The one in the armoring sequence looks like a later, barrel-shaped great helm to me, rather than the high-backed, or faceplate styles that you tend to see in the first half of the century.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2014-07-22, 21:08:40 »
Baeyeaux Tapestry shos something, and I know that the Romans used padding in their Hamata.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #23 on: 2014-07-22, 23:39:23 »
tapestry shows a later date of people who got bored sewing . multiple versions of mail. even the bishop odo
Romans, now Romans at least knew of something. a Subarmalis. found in one writing. nothing physical in drawings, paintings, finds, lists/rosters etc
i can not remember the quote, but during the crusades the western crusaders were bewildered about the Mediterraneans having coats of layers.

so WESTERN Europe. i do believe up until the maybe late 12thc early 13thc had nothing more than woolen tunics. felted maybe. maybe thick wool maybe. but theres no evidence to show any thing else.  i know in the absence of evidence blah blah, save that thought for the hitler channel or syfy lol

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2014-07-23, 13:45:42 »
From a practical stand point, mail without padding is not good protection against swords; you won't get cut, but bones will break like candy. And broken rings driven into flesh, from not having padding, would be an unpleasant experience (if not death from infection).

I have no problem wearing mail over a t-shirt to walk around or piddle. But for combat? No way. I'm also a soft 21st century guy, so, who knows. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #25 on: 2014-07-24, 02:46:03 »
That is a neat little pciture. Well, the gambeson we see in the 13th century must have derived from something. I don't think the idea just popped out of no where and the use of it spread throughout Europe instantly. There must have been something existing before. That's just my opinion.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2014-07-28, 00:48:52 »
Baeyeaux Tapestry shos something, and I know that the Romans used padding in their Hamata.
Yes I also noticed that. Perhaps just a shirt.

Perhaps The possibility of just somewhat thick shirts before late 12th century and as time went on it began to evolve more and more, to what we know now, the fact that it was used and differentiated as the middle ages went on.

True, what I should have said was that later style great-helms appear in the second half of the 13th. The one in the armoring sequence looks like a later, barrel-shaped great helm to me, rather than the high-backed, or faceplate styles that you tend to see in the first half of the century.

Those Helms look like topfhelms, so Faceplate/ Highback styles,  but those were a lot less protection than the helmets we begin seeing in the mid to late 13th century. I think Faceplate style started in the late 12th, although it definitely was not the Norm of helmets to have back then.

the picture should be called 13th century. Since evidence of gambesons closer to that exists more, and the type of helmet we see in the sequence.

From a practical stand point, mail without padding is not good protection against swords; you won't get cut, but bones will break like candy. And broken rings driven into flesh, from not having padding, would be an unpleasant experience (if not death from infection).

I have no problem wearing mail over a t-shirt to walk around or piddle. But for combat? No way. I'm also a soft 21st century guy, so, who knows. :)

Well Even though mail and padding seem to go hand and hand, It is quite possible that just a thicker shirt was worn. Since people still used shields as their main defense, the mail was only there to help against cuts. Because even if you have thick padding, If someone hits you with a mace or sword, It is Going To hurt Very bad.
(since we know due to the start plate smaller shields were being used by late 13th, but padding was still essential)
Look at this image that dates to 13th century. Their are no shields Perhaps because as armor got better(during this era would be mail and helmets, then plate.. but that was later) there would have to be a reason none of these men are using shields(perhaps because of thicker padding, or maybe it was a test of skill.) I also remember reading that there may have been a type of mail for jousting that was extra thick.
But what this image would show is that armor was protective enough that the combatants would be willing to not use shields. Where as in earlier century's the shield was the most important protection. more padding and better armor could have been adapted as people needed to be better protected if they lost a shield in combat. but in earlier century's armor protection was less adapted.
I guess what I make of it is that padding evolved just as armor did. Weather or not this is already a known fact, I do not know.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-28, 00:52:28 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #27 on: 2014-10-11, 01:59:08 »

But what this image would show is that armor was protective enough that the combatants would be willing to not use shields.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Without viewing this (or any other) medieval illustration within the context of the text, it's impossible to say much about what's depicted therein.

I will add that this particular picture is also famous for it's illustration of knights grappled with each other to remove their enemies' helm. This alone does not mean that such tactics were common. It is not until you combine this with other sources across space and time that the truth of the picture comes into focus.

Scott
« Last Edit: 2014-10-11, 02:03:21 by scott2978 »

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #28 on: 2014-10-11, 03:13:52 »
theres nothing from rome to the aketons of 13thcish?. no pictures, paintings, finds, lists, descriptions, packings, sculptures, nothing

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2014-10-13, 04:19:33 »

But what this image would show is that armor was protective enough that the combatants would be willing to not use shields.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Without viewing this (or any other) medieval illustration within the context of the text, it's impossible to say much about what's depicted therein.

I will add that this particular picture is also famous for it's illustration of knights grappled with each other to remove their enemies' helm. This alone does not mean that such tactics were common. It is not until you combine this with other sources across space and time that the truth of the picture comes into focus.

Scott
I will do so Scott.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"