Main > The Courtyard

My vid on longsword stance.

<< < (2/5) > >>

Thorsteinn:
And to the Italians it's the German system that is stodgy and overly complicated.

Really I've noticed that the 3.5 Fiore Stabile guards, Vom Tag, and Posta di Falcone  are the ones used most. and that only Long Tail, Boars Tooth/Middle Iron Door, and Ochs are the non-intuitive ones.

Sir Edward:

Heh, I find that amusing, since to me, the German system comes off as rather simple in concept. It's also delightfully medieval, in the sense that if a bunch of things are mostly similar, they must be the same thing, so they're lumped together. ;)

One thing that's cool about the German manuscripts too, is that for the most part, they're not always written with the approach of "this is the way it must be done", but rather, "here's something that works, try this"

Sir Brian:
The Italian system also seems to favor a thrust more which is fine but I don’t consider thrusts to have as much duel ending probabilities as a solid cut does except of course with harnischfechten where the thrust is king! ;)

Sir Nate:
Thank you for the post.
also, I am finding no time for any longsword practice. Luckily it turns out there is a place about a half hour away in center city. It is also probably a 100% better Idea to go there and learn it from someone that knows it then by myself. 

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2014-07-23, 14:14:44 ---The Italian system also seems to favor a thrust more which is fine but I don’t consider thrusts to have as much duel ending probabilities as a solid cut does except of course with harnischfechten where the thrust is king! ;)
--- End quote ---

Well since reviewing my bouts in the Longpoint finals where Mike Forrest did an excellent job of pointing out my foolishness of not giving the thrust the proper respect it is due. My instructor Larry Tom of course was not remiss to bring this to my attention yesterday and made it a primary aspect of our lesson and drills. Suffice to say; contending with a thrust from plug is far more manageable for me. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version