Main > The Courtyard

My vid on longsword stance.

<< < (5/5)

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Talhoffer (German tradition) favors the thrust and I agree as the thrust is a quick strike (shortest distance between two points) and a strike is more easily deflected as there is more time to react.
--- End quote ---

I would be careful with that statement.  Talhoffer favors certain techniques that utilizes both cut and thrust (same with Fiore); and questions to ask is "Which thrust covers the most distance?" or "What cut can be employed the fastest?"  Both Liechtenauer and Fiore have movements that use cuts leading to a thrust (Zorhnau and 1st Play in the Zogho Largo) and thrusts leading to either a cut, pommel strike, half sword technique, slice etc (Speaking Window, Setting Aside parried leading to a Zwerchau, Winding parried leading to a Snapping, Breaking the Thrust leading to a false edge cut).  My point is to get familiar with the movements so as to make the better decision to use the cut or thrust in the appropriate moment.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: jason77 on 2016-08-03, 03:22:39 ---I have applied the thrust and I have seen others apply the thrust so quickly as to score in a match before the opponent knew what happened.

--- End quote ---

Also valid with strikes, the vorschlag

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Also valid with strikes, the vorschlag
--- End quote ---

That is also true.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version