"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: Knights Hospitaller/Knights of Rhodes  (Read 10965 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Knights Hospitaller/Knights of Rhodes
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-31, 19:46:40 »
He's making video game references...lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2014-08-01, 00:57:38 »
He's making video game references...lol

The video games simply copied reality. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #17 on: 2014-08-13, 17:01:33 »
I don't know a lot about the Crusades. I did a bit of research into the why they started in the first place but honestly I think humanity has gone through a few Crusades even since the one mentioned here began. Humanity does interesting things, sometimes for ideals and sometimes that is simply the excuse.

I don't think you can say any one group is over-rated per se, I am sure some of them honestly believed in what they were doing and why they were there. However I am also sure that others were using the group to put a holy light on theft, murder, and a host of other things that were less savor.

I think the  Hospitalers are a fine group to take up kit for. :) Of course this coming from someone who knows little about them. I think it is time for research, oh yes I do. :D

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #18 on: 2014-08-14, 05:02:08 »
I think I get what you're saying when you mentioned the theft part and holy part. Every person has his reasons. Many were wrong, especially when the pope told them that they could do anything and be forgiven for their sins if they are to fight in the holy lands. Or I am pretty confident that is the case...
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #19 on: 2014-08-14, 14:23:15 »
That was my impression as well, that is another example of one group De-humanizing another. A problem still around today, although thankfully not quite to the same scale in most cases. If I remember correctly it was said that the Pope regretted what he started after it began but couldn't stop it.

Even still, I have no doubt that some Crusaders were honorable men who did the best they could for what they believed in.