Main > The Round Table

Unluckiest Sword in English history for sale. Carries de Bohun Arms

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Nate:
Unlucky sword??? Its in fantastic condition!!!!!
Excalibur broke, while arthur wielded it
Arthur got thrusted by a spear while wielding it
Yet people killed for that sword.
Tis not the sword, Nay, tis the Man

Sir Humphrey:
As a de Bohun descendent, I'd love to have a good repro of that sword.  I think I only believe the second half of the tale that Christies applies to the sword.  I also wish the UK government would buy and keep it for the public.  I'll hate to see it locked away in a private collection.

Eva de Carduus Weald:
How awesome is that? I love the shape of it and yeah I can see it changed throughout it's life to suit the time and defenses developed but how cool! Now if only I actually *had* 120,000 pounds to spend on such a piece. I will simply have to dream.

As for being speared in the butt, um ouch. Not a death I would like to experience but it is funny in a morbid sort of way.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2014-07-24, 20:59:50 ---Unlucky sword??? Its in fantastic condition!!!!!
Excalibur broke, while arthur wielded it
Arthur got thrusted by a spear while wielding it
Yet people killed for that sword.
Tis not the sword, Nay, tis the Man

--- End quote ---

That was not Excalibur that broke- I know, the movie showed it breaking during the fight with Lancelot but according to lore, it wasn't Excalibur, it was the sword he pulled from the stone that broke; which is, after a long and convoluted tale, why he ended up with Excalibur.  ;)

Sir Edward:

Yeah, it's really just the modern movie adaptations that merge the two stories, to make Excalibur into the sword in the stone, and the one that breaks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version