"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Unluckiest Sword in English history for sale. Carries de Bohun Arms  (Read 8754 times)

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
There's an example for your persona thread inquiry.  That sword looks like it was re-hilted and re-ground many times altering it's shape, profile, and performance characteristics over the course of its working life to suit more modern styles as it went on.  If it's chain of ownership is true (while carrying the de Bohun arms is interesting, that's quite a tall tale they've spun about its history), it saw battle throughout the age of maille and was retired about the time plate was rapidly advancing.  Regardless of who really owned that sword, it's a cool example of the sword as a tool through time.  That's one hell of a piece!

Note that the manuscript miniature in the article depicting the Battle of Boroughbridge is actually an early 15th century depiction of an entirely different battle (Battle of Tinchebray 1106).  But its time of painting is why it shows everyone in early 15th century armor.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-12, 13:27:55 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Hell of a way to go for the last purported owner of that sword, I quote:

However, the cursed sword's bad luck continued at the Battle of Boroughbridge in 1322, when the unfortunate owner was speared in the anus and killed.

Any attempt to envision that is met w/riotous laughter.  I know that's a horrible way to go- must be the juvenile in me that finds it humorous.  Seriously, was he bending over flashing his hind parts in derision when he got caught?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Hell of a way to go for the last purported owner of that sword, I quote:

However, the cursed sword's bad luck continued at the Battle of Boroughbridge in 1322, when the unfortunate owner was speared in the anus and killed.

Any attempt to envision that is met w/riotous laughter.  I know that's a horrible way to go- must be the juvenile in me that finds it humorous.  Seriously, was he bending over flashing his hind parts in derision when he got caught?

Random soldier: "de Bohun, there's a gold farthing upon the ground by yon sabatons!"
de Bohun: "Ah! 'Tis my lucky day! I shall simply lean down to" (and then gets speared in the butt)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Unfortunately not the first time this has happened & caused famed deaths:

After watching this man unleash mayhem so brutal that it would make even the most hardcore MMA enthusiasts nauseous, one clever Saxon warrior wised up and decided not to try and test this barbarian's might.  He floated a barrel in the river, hopped in, drifted underneath the bridge, and jammed his spear up through the planks, striking the Viking in his only weak point - the ball sack.

The Swift-Footed Achilles had his infamous heel, Smaug the Magnificent had a weak point covering his heart, and the Giant Enemy Crab could be exposed for massive damage - but for this invincible Viking warrior, a spear wound in the junk was the one thing that could slow him down. 
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Unlucky sword??? Its in fantastic condition!!!!!
Excalibur broke, while arthur wielded it
Arthur got thrusted by a spear while wielding it
Yet people killed for that sword.
Tis not the sword, Nay, tis the Man
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
As a de Bohun descendent, I'd love to have a good repro of that sword.  I think I only believe the second half of the tale that Christies applies to the sword.  I also wish the UK government would buy and keep it for the public.  I'll hate to see it locked away in a private collection.
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
How awesome is that? I love the shape of it and yeah I can see it changed throughout it's life to suit the time and defenses developed but how cool! Now if only I actually *had* 120,000 pounds to spend on such a piece. I will simply have to dream.

As for being speared in the butt, um ouch. Not a death I would like to experience but it is funny in a morbid sort of way.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Unlucky sword??? Its in fantastic condition!!!!!
Excalibur broke, while arthur wielded it
Arthur got thrusted by a spear while wielding it
Yet people killed for that sword.
Tis not the sword, Nay, tis the Man

That was not Excalibur that broke- I know, the movie showed it breaking during the fight with Lancelot but according to lore, it wasn't Excalibur, it was the sword he pulled from the stone that broke; which is, after a long and convoluted tale, why he ended up with Excalibur.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Yeah, it's really just the modern movie adaptations that merge the two stories, to make Excalibur into the sword in the stone, and the one that breaks.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
Even BBC's Horrible Histories pokes fun of Humphrey de Bohun's fate: 

My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte

Yeah, it's really just the modern movie adaptations that merge the two stories, to make Excalibur into the sword in the stone, and the one that breaks.
I forgot about that. Time to read the rest of the once and future king series.

Even BBC's Horrible Histories pokes fun of Humphrey de Bohun's fate: 

Lol, now I can't wait to meet the grim reaper(don't take that the wrong way)
I can't even begin to start about how many bum jokes I heard this summer.
Lol
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"