"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Tell me about your proudest shot you pulled off.  (Read 5801 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Tell me about your proudest shot you pulled off.
« on: 2014-07-06, 19:26:06 »
Story time!

What is the most memorable shot or combo you've ever pulled off?

Mine is at West June Crown some 6 years back. I was fighting Sir Magnus Arctos in the 3rd round. It was a "Helms as is" tourney, and we had been exchanging blows back and forth. He came in low to my left and was loaded to do something. I instinctively stepped to my right and did a moulinet offside thrust so that my hand came in from my left side with my swordtip to his centerline. He was wearing a closefaced early greathelm & my weapon went right into his right occular. It was beautiful!
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
Re: Tell me about your proudest shot you pulled off.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-07, 04:25:43 »
Mine was when I first started fighting...I had only been fighting a few months and entered The Lord of outlandish tournament at grand outlandish. I had been training with one of the others fighters and at the time was squire to Sir Bohemond of the Outlands, named Tancred d'Avignon (now a knight)..I knew his defense was tight and I was going to have trouble getting in. I asked a friend for some advice and he suggested a throw a half shot and when he drops his guard finish the shot...well I did just that and one spotted him right in the grill....was a good day and a great "no s$&t there I was story" around the fire.. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-10, 03:50:20 »
My most memorable combo occurred during the latest Lilies War just a few weeks ago.  In an open field battle I faced off against Count Damien MacGavin of Calontir and one of his men.  A well timed (and lucky) face thrust with my 6 foot poleaxe struck the Count square in the eye slot.  I immediately swung the axe to my left and caught the man-at-arms solidly in the side of the head.  Two shots, two kills, two seconds.

This was memorable to me for two reasons.  First, Damian plays in Northshield occasionally and has helped me “up my game” recently.  A Count in the SCA has been King once in the past; an honor not gained lightly or easily.  The facts are he is an honorable man, an excellent fighter, and a great teacher.  He has taken time out of his game to help me improve my game.  He is not a member of the chivalry that is “above the commoner”; but one who will sit in your camp, enjoy a cold beverage, and eagerly discuss tactics and new ideas.

Secondly, this was one of the few times that a battle seemed to “slow down” for me.  I was able to see the entire field with clarity and chose my shots wisely.  It’s a surreal feeling that I’ve only encountered a few times in the last one and a half decades (plus).
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-10, 12:48:55 »

I don't know that I have any one "proud" shot, but probably lots of small ones that made me smile.

For instance, one time at VAF, we were doing team fights (something we rarely did). I did a really nice misdirection, by staring one opponent in the eyes for multiple seconds as the teams approached each other, and then, while still looking there, stabbed someone off to my side without once moving my eyes over. :)  The thing that made it slightly more hollow of a victory though, is that the person I hit was a lot less experienced.

What I really love are the moments where your training, the "muscle memory", just clicks in and does the right thing. I know there have been lots of cases where I've done the shielhau-then-wind thing, completely automatically. That makes me smile.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-10, 18:39:29 »
In Ymir 2014 I authorized and participated in the tournament...it was my first match and being a lefty and 6'5 people went to wrap my butt a lot...during that first match after blocking the wrap 2 or 3 times this person came again and I feigned the block and waited for them to drop their shield and commit to the shot and just slammed their helmet with an offside shot from above...it was satisfying to  throw on shot and win :)

Leg for a head shot every time...it has happened a few times in other tournaments since then!

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-10, 21:48:33 »
In Ymir 2014 I authorized and participated in the tournament...it was my first match and being a lefty and 6'5 people went to wrap my butt a lot...during that first match after blocking the wrap 2 or 3 times this person came again and I feigned the block and waited for them to drop their shield and commit to the shot and just slammed their helmet with an offside shot from above...it was satisfying to  throw on shot and win :)

Leg for a head shot every time...it has happened a few times in other tournaments since then!

Awesome fun times...done that a lot too.....but when I fight lefties I line up goofy foot...fake the leg and mollinet (sp) into the body....GOOD TIMES!!!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD