"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: RenFaires 2014 Season  (Read 58831 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: RenFaires 2014 Season
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-12, 04:51:11 »
I’ll be hitting the Minnesota Renaissance Festival a few times this season.

It runs August 16th through September 28th this year.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2014-07-14, 02:47:17 »
I will be going to PA ren faire first weekend as well to meet up with some of the order. I havent been to that one since 2006 when I was pretty crappy as a "reenactor" if I could even call myself that. Will be looking forward to it and if I can possibly get him to come I would bring my friend Elliot along with me.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #17 on: 2014-07-15, 03:17:32 »
I will be going to PA ren faire first weekend as well to meet up with some of the order. I havent been to that one since 2006 when I was pretty crappy as a "reenactor" if I could even call myself that. Will be looking forward to it and if I can possibly get him to come I would bring my friend Elliot along with me.

Don’t be so hard on yourself.  We all have differing paths to our own personal goals.

Ask yourself the question “Was I having fun at the time?â€
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2014-07-16, 15:51:19 »

Don’t be so hard on yourself.  We all have differing paths to our own personal goals.

Ask yourself the question “Was I having fun at the time?â€

Absolutely! And remember it's a renn faire, not living history. There were probably people with wings or bunny ears or vampire fangs there... so you were probably worlds above that.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-07-16, 20:18:29 »
Still the question that, as a reenactor, you should always be asking yourself first is:

Have I properly educated the public?
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2014-07-18, 07:43:12 »
That was before I knew much back in 2006 when my idea of the middle ages was the movie Braveheart and the game Medieval Total War. I am a bit harsh on myself I will admit but it's cause I look back and cringe at my past and only like looking into the future more so.

Thats the exact last time I was there in October 2006. Pretty much fine for a ren faire but... living history I can forget it. I didnt know any groups or had any standing anywhere so I didnt learn much between 2005 to 2009. Didn't have much fun in the past at ren faires either due to being socially inapt at the time and so awkward I had no way to talk to strangers or make friends.
This order plus Days of Knights really changed that and now I can do those things just fine now no problem. I hope this second time I go to will be looking up, which I am quite optimistic about meeting up in August. Now that I am bettered a lot more I bet I will have a lot more fun plus meeting more of the order. Probably will be better than the NY one where Elliot and I were the only 2 living history people there in a sea of Rennies. I am just going to bring my knightly outfit and dont have to pack too much like I do for DoK though my mother told me she wont be going to the faire itself so it's just gonna be me and if he comes Elliot, meeting up with Aiden and Nate. If James, his squire and Nathan Quarantillo come to it that would be nice as well though.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #21 on: 2014-07-18, 11:45:08 »
ren faires aren't for history. they are for family drinking hanging out fun time with a medieval flair. shows, characters, venders are all great and have their places. historical? not in the least lol. I started to think like you there for a while till I realized it's just for fun and no one knows differently anyways.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #22 on: 2014-07-18, 16:54:48 »
I started out with that exact same green shirt. And studded vest thing. And pants. Heh, boots look like the ones I have, too. XD

I wish I was able to meet up with you guys at PARF. Tried to switch reservations around and such, but no go this late in the year. :( Good news is I'm registered for DoK, so it looks like I'll be going, baring any unforeseen circumstances.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #23 on: 2014-07-19, 04:33:31 »
You look great for a Ren Fair, especially compared to what I was sporting in the ‘80’s!   :o

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #24 on: 2014-07-19, 21:14:15 »
Going to Hammond Castle tomorrow with wife & step-son. Was going to wear Templar attire as it is a 12th century style castle but we will see. If I wear armor, it will just be riveted maille with padding and spurs, plus adorning mantle. I'll go as Living Historian for this one. :) Lots of pics.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #25 on: 2014-07-21, 01:31:35 »
Hit up the Great Lakes Medieval Faire this weekend. It alternated between drizzle and rain the whole time Saturday, so it was a soft kit day. It more or less cleared up Sunday, so:

Got to debut my Teutonic kit. ;D
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #26 on: 2014-07-21, 02:04:41 »
Looking good, Squire Douglass.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #27 on: 2014-07-21, 02:24:00 »
That looks spectacular Squire Douglas!   8)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2014-07-21, 16:17:38 »
Awesome Douglas!!
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order