"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Heraldic Gonfalons - but on a smaller scale  (Read 9149 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Heraldic Gonfalons - but on a smaller scale
« on: 2014-07-05, 20:47:41 »
I commissioned Cillene at Dirk and Arrow - who made the Marshal gonfalon, as well as many Order members - to make some of these smaller size gonfalons, and in rectangular format instead of shield shaped. Instead of 24" x 36" (standard gonfalon size), these are roughly 12" x 18" (1/4 scale). Here's some pencil work sketch so far:

The idea being they are more "picture sized" and would serve as good medieval themed decor where I don't have as much wall space as I would for a full size gonfalon, or if I wanted a set of smaller ones.

They should be done in a week or so. I'll take pics when I get them. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Heraldic Gonfalons - but on a smaller scale
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-05, 23:10:12 »
Looking good.  What is the one on the left?  What colors will it be?
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-06, 03:26:19 »
Looking good.  What is the one on the left?  What colors will it be?

Thanks. The one on the left is historical Anderson surname heraldry, Anderson of Erbury. It's "argent, a chevron between three cross crosslets sable": white field, black chevron & crosslets. It was the primary inspiration for my heraldry, which I inverted the colors, and used lions (my zodiac symbol) instead of the cross crosslets.

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Fortis et Fidelis "Strong and Faithful"
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-15, 02:49:57 »
Looks good. I still need to get my order in. Probably wait til after MDRF thou.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-16, 15:52:29 »
Paintwork was done on them earlier this week, and they are adding the loops, hanging pole, rope, etc. Might have them in hand next week or two.

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-14, 15:33:10 »
I am sorry for my ignorance but what is a Gonfalon? I assume it is like a small banner to say, "This here thing belongs to Sir Whoziwhatsit." Is that so? Or does it serve a different purpose?

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #6 on: 2014-08-14, 16:07:42 »
Yeah, they're basically vertically-hanging banners. Historically I think they were largely ecclesiastical/ceremonial in nature (I could be wrong on that), but we mostly use them to say, "Sir Whoziwhatsit is here". ;)

Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #7 on: 2014-08-14, 16:28:59 »
Awesome coolness! Now I am going to need to figure out how to make em! Undoubtedly hubby will be "thrilled" I have found yet another project. lol

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-08-14, 20:29:51 »
Awesome coolness! Now I am going to need to figure out how to make em! Undoubtedly hubby will be "thrilled" I have found yet another project. lol

The ones in this thread are indoor/outdoor canvas with weather-resistant (weather-proof?) paint.

Forgot to post that I received them a couple weeks ago but haven't had time to cut / seal the rods or hang them yet.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2014-08-14, 20:29:57 »

Hah! Yes, filling the house with lots of unfinished (and completed) projects can certainly drive family members batty. Welcome to historical reenactment. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #10 on: 2014-08-14, 20:38:46 »
Ohh thank you for adding the details, and yes I have so many interests and so many projects, both finished and unfinished that he gives me what I call the *look* every time I mention a new interest. lol

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #11 on: 2014-08-14, 21:29:27 »
Ohh thank you for adding the details, and yes I have so many interests and so many projects, both finished and unfinished that he gives me what I call the *look* every time I mention a new interest. lol

Ha! I know the feeling. Though I don't have a wife to give me "The LookTM" every time I start a new project, so the pile just keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger..... ::)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #12 on: 2014-08-14, 21:54:17 »
lol at some point you may need to make a project of support posts to hold up the unfinished projects. It would be a shame for heavy things to fall and crush you. :D

Just imagine, you go into the hospital with all manner of interesting things poking out of you. What would you tell the nurse?

As for the "Look" yeah I think spouses come with them built in. Every couple I know has their own version.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #13 on: 2014-08-14, 23:40:10 »

Ha! I know the feeling. Though I don't have a wife to give me "The LookTM" every time I start a new project, so the pile just keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger..... ::)

My wife gives me that look when I take on new hobbies...first larp, then tobacco pipes, then sca/hema, and now wet shaving...just bought a 50 dollar badger brush and 40 dollars worth of vintage 1940's razors...she was not amused...especially with my leather armor cut out and not stamped, dyed or riveted to the steel splints i cut but havent shaped or deburred....so many projects...so many interests!

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #14 on: 2014-08-15, 13:22:51 »
Yeah when I say I want to do archery, armor making, blacksmithing, leather working, wood working, sculpting, painting, fighting, knitting, embroidery, music, and weaving he tends to eye roll and point out one of the unfinished things I said I really wanted to do. Still, I am practicing music right now and I will stick with it.....until I don't anymore ;P