Main > Reviews

Custom Chainmail

(1/10) > >>

Ian:
A couple months ago I placed an order with Jeff (Jestyr on the AA) at Custom Chainmail.  Anyone who has had to endure tailoring their own maille knows that it's tedious at best, and a nightmare at worst.  If someone out there is willing to do it for me, he deserves my business!  I needed a maille shirt that would be suitable for wear under a late 14th / early 15th century plate harness.  I needed long sleeves, and a mid-thigh length skirt and no split on the hem (which is not a combination usually sold off-the-rack).  Instead of having to by a long sleeved hauberk, trim the skirt, sew up the split in the hem, then taper the sleeves, tailor the body tube etc... I just put off the purchase out of fear of losing my sanity.  Then I saw that Custom Chainmail is offering all of those services straight out the door!

On the standard scale, 5's across the board... 6's if they were allowed!  Price was quoted up front along with a reasonable timeline for production.  The final product was done within the quoted time.  Communication was virtually instantaneous.  If I had a question about measurements or anything for that matter Jeff usually responded within hours if not 20 or 30 minutes of sending him an email.  The product itself is great!  It fit straight out of the box and alleviated my fears of having to cut it apart and sew it back up to fit.   Not a single ring or rivet fell off after unboxing, cleaning it, applying my favorite rust preventative, and wearing it.  The sleeve taper is excellent based on just my measurements and still allows full elbow flexion with no binding.  The taper also doesn't display that awkward stair-step look that some taper jobs end up looking like.

Buy with confidence!

Here you can see the fit, finish and sleeve taper.  No bingo wings here!

Thorsteinn:
Nice!

Lord Dane:
Looks good Ian. Tapered is the way to go.

Sir Patrick:
So jealous!

Sir Douglas:
Very nice indeed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version