"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Demo For History Club  (Read 11994 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: Demo For History Club
« Reply #15 on: 2014-06-21, 15:21:55 »
IMO you should find out the timeframe they want to allocate for your demonstration/presentation then decide how best to fill that time. Oh and DO NOT reiterate any of the fanciful BS that has been heavily disseminated by some semi-modern, quasi-historians and ignorantly propagated with a plethora of Hollywood films or computer games. I would stick with reputable source information and ask for some others with solid subject knowledge to review your data before incorporating it into your presentation.

Depending upon your allotted time, instead of focusing so much upon the armor and weapons of knights, you could expand upon the simple origins of a knight up to the social and economical role knights fulfilled in the later middle ages.

I agree with that fill in the space, because after all, war was just a part of his life. It would be great to show people that knights, being lords, would have to take part in running their community. I think it would be great to teach them what a real tournament looks like. So when they go to the PA Renaissance faire, they can be like "that's so inaccurate and corny it hurts".

Oh and DO NOT reiterate any of the fanciful BS that has been heavily disseminated by some semi-modern, quasi-historians and ignorantly propagated with a plethora of Hollywood films or computer games. I would stick with reputable source information and ask for some others with solid subject knowledge to review your data before incorporating it into your presentation.

This is a really good point. We see a lot of this "bad data" even especially at modern renaissance festivals. Sometimes from actual reenactors, who technically should know better.

/fixed :)

But yes, they are 100% right on the money here Aiden.  Always seek to be part of the solution, not the problem.  I would say that Sir Brian is particularly wise in suggesting that you bounce your data off of someone else who is learned on the subject before finalizing anything in your presentation.

He is also giving you excellent advice when he suggests you get the guidelines for your presentation regarding time allotted and space allotted from your teachers before trying to plan it out.  Then you will have a specific framework to build upon.

That is why I came here first, I wanted to get the right information before I started putting together my presentation for the next school year. Mike Loades would be pretty great to show, or maybe just pieces of it. I believe it is an hour, but I'll ask a friend who usually goes. Then at the beginning of the school year, before history club starts, I'll give my teacher a summary of what I will/can do. But I'm sure I'll have back ups for everything. Better safe than sorry.

As I said before, I want to bring in a thing or two for my fellow school mates. As I learned from Mr. Johnsons class, bringing in tangible items is one of the best ways to go, because it is something they will never forget. And it allows them to get a hands on experience of a piece of history. That's why I want to bring in a square of maille, maybe alternating rings, 7 mm. Oh and teach them that chainmail is ABSOLUTELY incorrect terminology and should say maille. I say maille because mail sounds like mail and male, and it would confuse somebody that's not well versed in this stuff.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Demo For History Club
« Reply #16 on: 2014-06-22, 21:55:37 »
I think it goes beyond the "weapons in a school" thing though. What we've found at our other demos, is that the sharps tend to stay hidden away, just because everyone (kids particularly) can get grabby with the display items. People respect maces and hammers, but swords are thought of more like toys, and it's easy to accidentally cut yourself even if you're careful.

So I'll usually put a couple of maces on the table, but for swords, I usually only put out the wasters, synthetics, or steel trainers.

To elaborate on that, it seems that the big sword in the scabbard would be better for a photo because it is big. Even if you tell them no and it is sharp, and you don't want them hurting themselves, it becomes even more of an item to strive for. plus it is in scabbard, making it seem special(Despite Electric tape) ;)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"