"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Games: The Witcher 3  (Read 20045 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Games: The Witcher 3
« on: 2014-06-06, 19:21:22 »

I still haven't gotten around to playing Witcher 2 (though I bought it, and it's on my list), but this looks interesting:

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Games: The Witcher 3
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-06, 19:23:57 »
Witcher 2 was vastly superior to Dragon Age (all of them) in my opinion.  Witcher 1 was a bit clunky, and I would say DA:O was better than Witcher 1. 

Now Witcher 3, if it delivers everything they promise, will be a top tier, hall-of-fame level fantasy rpg.  The setting is just so awesome... it's like Game of Thrones level maturity, instead of the more tame DA fare of Good vs. Evil with very little real in between.  The Witcher really lives in the gray area.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-06, 19:33:27 »

Yeah, I never played Witcher 1 either, but on your suggestion I bought W2, and just haven't played it yet. Maybe this is the incentive I need.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-06, 19:38:29 »

Yeah, I never played Witcher 1 either, but on your suggestion I bought W2, and just haven't played it yet. Maybe this is the incentive I need.

Feel free to skip W1, it's entirely unnecessary.  It just has some back story, but you'll figure it out just fine in W2.  W2 is mechanically the far superior game to W1. 
My Pinterest

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-06-06, 20:21:41 »
Now I want a better PC just so I can play this one.

BTW GoG.com has it available for order IIRC.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-12, 14:00:32 »
I'm a short way into W2 right now, and of course, my video card has been dying a slow death for the last month. Now it's on its way back to EVGA for RMA, and I'm back on my older card, 3-generations out of date. I'm tempted to just wait for the replacement before firing up W2 again, because I'm afraid of what the framerates may look like. ;)

Then again, if I turn off all the detail for a little while, that might be OK.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-06-12, 17:21:00 »
Witcher 2 was vastly superior to Dragon Age (all of them) in my opinion.  Witcher 1 was a bit clunky, and I would say DA:O was better than Witcher 1. 

Now Witcher 3, if it delivers everything they promise, will be a top tier, hall-of-fame level fantasy rpg.  The setting is just so awesome... it's like Game of Thrones level maturity, instead of the more tame DA fare of Good vs. Evil with very little real in between.  The Witcher really lives in the gray area.

Well that's true, in DA they never let you see your character get it on- they lead you right up to it and then a few noises and fade to black.  Not real at all!

But I'm looking forward to this Witcher game...it sounds weird to my ear but from what I've read, right up my alley.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2014-06-13, 23:30:01 »
I'll have to try it when it goes on sale, I normally dont pay full price for games until they're either on a steam sale or store sale at my local bestbuy. Though I never did beat the first Witcher I liked it due to its dark medieval theme, the TC for Oblivion called Nehrim reminded me of the Witcher quite a bit.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #8 on: 2014-06-14, 02:47:12 »
I'll have to try it when it goes on sale, I normally dont pay full price for games until they're either on a steam sale or store sale at my local bestbuy. Though I never did beat the first Witcher I liked it due to its dark medieval theme, the TC for Oblivion called Nehrim reminded me of the Witcher quite a bit.

Well, like Thorsteinn said, GOG.com has it for pre-order and it's currently $9.00 off. Still pretty close to full price, but I just bring it up again because GOG.com is part of CD Projekt Red family, so the entire price goes to supporting the devs directly instead of part of it going through a third-party like Steam or a store.
Plus, it's DRM-free.
And GOG is just cool.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2014-06-14, 23:09:40 »
Wow this looks like something Id play
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2014-06-15, 01:24:32 »

The pre-order is $9 off on steam right now too. I think I'll grab it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #11 on: 2014-11-29, 19:25:05 »

Feel free to skip W1, it's entirely unnecessary.  It just has some back story, but you'll figure it out just fine in W2.  W2 is mechanically the far superior game to W1.

So I finally finished my first playthrough of The Witcher last night (I know, I know, I'm very late to the party as usual). It took me a little while to get into it at first, but once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed it. If the second one is that much better than the first, then I'm looking forward to playing it. :)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-11-29, 21:32:54 »
You just reminded me, Steam just dropped the price of the pre-order for Witcher 3 to -20% for the current sale through Dec 2.  It was -10%, and may go back up to -10% after this sale.
My Pinterest

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #13 on: 2014-12-01, 23:57:06 »
I've been watching this ever since I recovered from playing through the Mass Effect series. The end (not the actual ending but the fact that it was over) of Mass Effect felt to me a lot like when you're a kid and your best friend moves away.

Scott

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-12-03, 19:19:29 »
Scott...I totally get that.  I felt that way too.  It was like okay, what next?  What could possibly top that?  After wading through a few shooters that I never gave a second glance at (Bioshock Infinite, Red Faction Guerilla), I had a go at Dark Souls II but wasn't really feeling up for it.  I know, blasphemous, right?  Its medieval in orientation, I should be worshipping it!  lol

Anyway, I'm just marking time right now...found out I'm to get the XBone for Christmas!  So I went back into GTA Online...as far as open world and being able to get into just about anything, its as close as I'll get to the awesomeness that was Mass Effect.  I really, really liked that series of games.  And Sir Edward was right, the DLC really added to the whole experience, not to mention fleshing out already well written and engaging characters.

So there's a new ME on the horizon, but who will be in it and what it will be about is still in the ether.

On Witcher 3, I think I'll wait for it to come out for the nextgen systems...I'm certain it'll be worth it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€