Main > The Courtyard

Historical HEMA Tournaments and Deeds of Arms

<< < (13/19) > >>

Sir Patrick:
Out of curiousity, do your oculars slant down and out, or just run straight across?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that period helms had oculars that were slanted in order to direct a blade away from the eyes.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Patrick on 2014-06-06, 20:42:36 ---Out of curiousity, do your oculars slant down and out, or just run straight across?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that period helms had oculars that were slanted in order to direct a blade away from the eyes.

--- End quote ---

A lot of historical slots are actually slanted up, because it's even more unlikely that a blade will pass through them.  My bascinet's eye slots 'look' up.

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-06, 20:43:59 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Patrick on 2014-06-06, 20:42:36 ---Out of curiousity, do your oculars slant down and out, or just run straight across?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that period helms had oculars that were slanted in order to direct a blade away from the eyes.

--- End quote ---

A lot of historical slots are actually slanted up, because it's even more unlikely that a blade will pass through them.  My bascinet's eye slots 'look' up.

--- End quote ---

Have you ever thrusted at them, to see what would happen (not while you were wearing it).

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Patrick on 2014-06-06, 20:58:57 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-06, 20:43:59 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Have you ever thrusted at them, to see what would happen (not while you were wearing it).

--- End quote ---

Yes, in every LH demo I've done for each group of people that come by I try to stab them with my rondel dagger.  It's very frustrating.  I've gotten it in a couple times, but I'm standing above the helmet when I do it, and it's not moving.  If I were level or below the eyes, and  it was moving, it would literally be pure luck.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-06-05, 21:54:38 ---
Technically any perf-steel that can be securely attached could work. Does anyone know where to get relatively see-through perf-steel, rather than hacking up fencing masks? There has to be a cheaper option.

--- End quote ---

OnlineMetals.com

BTW the eye issue is why the IMCF allows folks to have a-historical eye protection as long as it's hidden.

We have a member of Team USA in Reno and he's said that all armour used in full contact fighting with steel weapons should be considered a consumable item.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version