Main > The Courtyard

Historical HEMA Tournaments and Deeds of Arms

<< < (11/19) > >>

Sir Wolf:
steel dents. swords break lol. I've been fighting unscripted steel for years. its fun if your safe and do the correct movements and correct counter blocks. I've seen a few accidents, like a sword cutting threw a guys lower lip (inbetween the lip and chin. but for hard hitting steel or fast paced, you better believe it's gonna get ruff on someone. that kinda fighting you need perf plate over eye holes etc

Sir Edward:

Yeah, that's been my safety concern all along with the eyes-- It might be a million to one, but someone, sometime, is going to find a way to make it happen. :)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-05, 22:25:37 ---Sir James brings up something.  Are steel blunts really hard on armor?  It shouldn't be denting spring steel or thick milds.

--- End quote ---

Steel on steel is more abrasive than wood, so you'll get nicks and dings that the wooden wasters don't leave. Primarily will be edges, in particular any flutes, rolled edges (like at the elbows / armpits) where it's getting thrust at. The rough edges of steel trainers will start to chew at the edges of armor, and vice versa, and both of them will start to chew at fabric over time. The center crease on my breastplate has lots of nicks from nothing more than taps to the chest at our first year of demos saying "hey, armor works against steel swords". Enough that Allan couldn't even fix it and it bugs me every time I put it on.

Granted, it's 16 gauge mild, but if I'm coughing up $7500+ on a heat treated spring steel harness, I don't want it getting torn up. I like armor and it pains me to see it injured. I'm often frustrated just taking dents out of my helmets. :)

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-06-06, 18:36:01 ---Granted, it's 16 gauge mild...

--- End quote ---

And if you're going to cough up $7500+ for a spring steel harness, you're paying that much because it shouldn't get torn up.  At least that should be one of the benefits of spring.  The steel it self is a lot less resilient to wear and tear.  Anyone try this with spring to know or sure?

The most I do is stab my helmet all the time in demos to show the glancing properties of a bascinet (I use steel weapons for this) and I get tiny little scratches that buff out.  This is not the same as bashing it, but I think with a controlled blow it certainly won't dent...

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-06, 18:38:36 ---
--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-06-06, 18:36:01 ---Granted, it's 16 gauge mild...

--- End quote ---

And if you're going to cough up $7500+ for a spring steel harness, you're paying that much because it shouldn't get torn up.

--- End quote ---

No no, if I'm paying that much, it's because I need another advantage over Sir Nathan and I'm paying a premium for a lighter kit. ;)

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-06, 18:38:36 ---At least that should be one of the benefits of spring.  The steel it self is a lot less resilient to wear and tear.  Anyone try this with spring to know or sure?

The most I do is stab my helmet all the time in demos to show the glancing properties of a bascinet (I use steel weapons for this) and I get tiny little scratches that buff out.  This is not the same as bashing it, but I think with a controlled blow it certainly won't dent...

--- End quote ---

I think you mean more resilient to wear and tear, not less? I'd be curious to know the answer to that. I'm still going to decline solely on the eye slots basis, but I do find the conversation interesting and useful to know about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version