Main > The Courtyard

Historical HEMA Tournaments and Deeds of Arms

<< < (10/19) > >>

Ian:
Sir James brings up something.  Are steel blunts really hard on armor?  It shouldn't be denting spring steel or thick milds.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-05, 22:25:37 ---Sir James brings up something.  Are steel blunts really hard on armor?  It shouldn't be denting spring steel or thick milds.

--- End quote ---

I'll answer that with pics of my 14 gauge Pembridge. Yes they hit hard and most of my dings are from aluminum ones. Spring steel should barely be dinged.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2014-06-05, 22:30:14 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-05, 22:25:37 ---Sir James brings up something.  Are steel blunts really hard on armor?  It shouldn't be denting spring steel or thick milds.

--- End quote ---

I'll answer that with pics of my 14 gauge Pembridge. Yes they hit hard and most of my dings are from aluminum ones. Spring steel should barely be dinged.

--- End quote ---
Spring steel is bit of an easier fix.
Before some cares to argue this, I have a bad argument of why they might be, My foil in fencing can bend easy, and then it will stay bent, but it is easy to unbend, I know a helm or breastplate is a lot different, but.... It is still spring steel. (I think I may be 83% wrong on this matter)

Sir Patrick:
One fencing mask would probably cover everyone's oculars with some to spare.

Sir Edward:

--- End quote ---

It depends. The typical 3-weapon fencing mask isn't meant for larger swords, but they stand up just fine for typical friendly fighting. But it's definitely possible to cave one in, even with a shinai, using enough power.

The same thing is true with plate armor of course. Damage will be minimal most of the time, but it's certainly possible to beat it up. My steel gaunts that I use for Blossfechten aren't particularly well made, but they're beaten all to hell from use as well.

And then, circling back to fencing masks, I've had the same one since the mid-'90s, and it's still in great working condition. My Terry Tindell mask is made of stainless, and that one is in great shape after some pretty hard hits too.

So I think my answer would be, "it depends" :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version