Main > The Courtyard

Historical HEMA Tournaments and Deeds of Arms

<< < (9/19) > >>

Sir Brian:
I am/was considering cutting up one of my regular fencing masks and having a section welded over my visor's oculars but I backed off a bit on the idea because I'm not ready to buy a replacement mask yet and the guy at Short Point in February had his helmet's oculars done and during our impromptu harnischfechten study group it had failed. Of course it may have just been a really shoddy welding job (looked that way from the quick look I had) and I know there are some top notch welders at my job...Perhaps it is time to shop for a new mask. If I get this done and it holds up to testing I'll be asking for all your visors! ;)

Sir Edward:

Technically any perf-steel that can be securely attached could work. Does anyone know where to get relatively see-through perf-steel, rather than hacking up fencing masks? There has to be a cheaper option.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-06-05, 21:54:38 ---
Technically any perf-steel that can be securely attached could work. Does anyone know where to get relatively see-through perf-steel, rather than hacking up fencing masks? There has to be a cheaper option.

--- End quote ---

I was considering contacting Terry T. and finding out what specifications he used on his masks, alas I never got around to it. Although cutting up a mask isn't so bad an alternative. My dueling weapon mask is getting a bit nasty!  :-\

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-05, 17:53:03 ---Hmmm... I see plenty of photos of trying to thrust to targets like the armpit and such, which are more than appropriate for armored combat.  Cuts to places only covered by maille...  I've also stated that there is video on the recent Torneo del Cigno Bianco showing them half-swording with steel swords, but I can't link it because it's a direct facebook upload, not a YouTube video.  They're using appropriate technique.

I still don't get how wood is magically safer than steel.  You guys seem to be of the opinion that it is, but have offered no reason as to why.  Explain why a non-flexible piece of wood that doesn't give at all in a thrust is safer than a piece of steel that absorbs the force of thrust by converting the energy of the thrust into the spring energy of flexing the blade.

I get the cost concerns, that's valid.  But the safety thing I'm not buying off on.  Because all I'm hearing is that wood is safer than steel because it is... that's not a reason.

It's kind of like the elite jousters now using steel coronels because they're safer than a lot of the other alternatives.

--- End quote ---

For those who think wood is safer ... they need to feel rattan bamboo hitting them in the melon or other soft spots. For equestrians, it comes at the end of a solid 2 inch pine lance. They know the difference without question once it breaks on their bodies.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2014-06-05, 21:58:32 ---I was considering contacting Terry T. and finding out what specifications he used on his masks, alas I never got around to it. Although cutting up a mask isn't so bad an alternative. My dueling weapon mask is getting a bit nasty!  :-\

--- End quote ---

Well, if it's a well-used one, that's starting to outlive its usefulness, then why not? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version