"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Leather purse  (Read 25875 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Leather purse
« on: 2014-05-28, 16:35:56 »
This is the start of a leather purse.  The covering flap will be lined and pocketed with linen on the inside, and everything will be hand assembled.  So far all I've done is cut out the pattern from the leather and tooled the exterior of the front flap in preparation for dying.

I've not decided what color, but I'm thinking oxblood.

The leather is cased by dampening it with a wet paper towel (do not soak the leather).  Then set the leather aside and wait for it to begin to return to its natural color.  Once this has occurred, it is ready for tooling.  (If you try to stamp dry leather it won't leave deep impressions, and if it's too wet they won't stick).  I used a straight edge and a stylus to impress the crossing lines on to the surface of the leather.  Then I hand-stamped the fleur-de-lis in to the resulting diamonds using a stamp and a maul.  Then I went back over the impressed lines and incised them using a swivel-knife.  The next step will be to dye the individual pieces of the purse.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
Re: Leather purse
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-28, 17:43:48 »
Wow!! 8)
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-28, 18:09:16 »

Holy crap, that's a nice start!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-28, 19:05:46 »
Please stop making so much awesome stuff. I'm becoming envious of your skill, and that's not knightly. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-28, 21:12:28 »
I support Sir Ian for Order craftsman and historical tailor. That is nice work.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-29, 06:39:47 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2014-05-29, 00:14:27 »
i have never used a swivel knife. is it just like a creaser or is more like a knife?
also, have you ever beveled your edges?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-05-29, 00:17:49 »
i have never used a swivel knife. is it just like a creaser or is more like a knife?
also, have you ever beveled your edges?

The swivel knife has a very sharp straight blade on it that you draw towards yourself and cut in to the leather.  Your finger sits in the yoke at the top and you grip the barrel with your thumb and middle finger, and it freely swivels you can cut curves.

The edges on this purse are way too thin to bevel, it's only 2-3 oz leather.  Most of the edges will be invisible too since it will be sewn and turned.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-29, 00:18:18 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #7 on: 2014-05-29, 02:37:58 »
These are such beautiful pieces your making! And in a rather fast paste. How much are you charging for these purses, pouches, and sheaths? Because your are incredible and would love to order one when my wallet is a bit fatter.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-05-29, 18:39:18 »
Thank you Sir Aiden.  I've been making all of these for my own kit, so I have yet to sell any pieces.  I really have no idea what they're worth.  I could tell you what similar pieces sell for by different merchants, but the ones I'm trying to emulate obviously have a lot more experience than me and thus provide a cleaner more finished product.

My goal is to create items without historical compromise, or at the very least with only unavoidable historical compromise.  I would always be willing to provide documentation to justify a particular design or construction method if available.  All of my leatherwork is completely hand made and thus not 'machine-perfect.'  The designs I use are based on historical examples.  Purses are one of those areas much like shoes, that you really can't find a historically designed one on the mass market without paying a lot.  The closest ones to historical designs are by Lorifactor that I've seen.
My Pinterest

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-05-29, 18:41:48 »
Nice, very nice Sir Ian.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #10 on: 2014-05-29, 18:54:16 »
Thank you Sir Aiden.  I've been making all of these for my own kit, so I have yet to sell any pieces.  I really have no idea what they're worth.  I could tell you what similar pieces sell for by different merchants, but the ones I'm trying to emulate obviously have a lot more experience than me and thus provide a cleaner more finished product.

My goal is to create items without historical compromise, or at the very least with only unavoidable historical compromise.  I would always be willing to provide documentation to justify a particular design or construction method if available.  All of my leatherwork is completely hand made and thus not 'machine-perfect.'  The designs I use are based on historical examples.  Purses are one of those areas much like shoes, that you really can't find a historically designed one on the mass market without paying a lot.  The closest ones to historical designs are by Lorifactor that I've seen.

I would choose hand made any day, plus it creates a more personal value to it. That's one of the reasons your pieces are so marvelous, its as accurate as you are capable of getting them. One thing I noticed is that you have a very keen eye for things. It can be seen in your pieces and photography.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #11 on: 2014-05-30, 04:15:08 »
I would choose hand made any day, plus it creates a more personal value to it. That's one of the reasons your pieces are so marvelous, its as accurate as you are capable of getting them. One thing I noticed is that you have a very keen eye for things. It can be seen in your pieces and photography.

Very well said.  Any product that is handmade will have slight imperfections that make it perfect.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-06-02, 22:58:21 »
Dyed oxblood.  A few coats gave it a deeper richer hue.

My Pinterest

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #13 on: 2014-06-02, 23:37:12 »
Looks great, Ian - where are you getting the buckles from?  Also, going with linen lining?
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-06-03, 00:01:05 »
Looks great, Ian - where are you getting the buckles from?  Also, going with linen lining?

Yes to the linen lining.  This will not be buckled.
My Pinterest