"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Anyone read this book?  (Read 7947 times)

David

• New Forum Member
Anyone read this book?
« on: 2014-05-16, 18:51:42 »
The book is Medievil Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techiques by John Clements. If anybody has info on it please let me know. Thank you!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Anyone read this book?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-16, 22:26:57 »
Not familiar with the book itself, but very familiar with John Clements.  He's the director of ARMA, and very well respected for his knowledge and ability.  He's also very controversial because ARMA is known to not really play well with other groups, so there's kind of an ARMA vs the rest of HEMA mentality at play, but I think even his detractors will agree that he's a very capable teacher and swordsman.  You may just find that certain techniques in his book disagree with the rest of the HEMA community at large.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-16, 23:40:03 »
John Clements reminds me of a scientist investigating something interesting that refuses to be peer reviewed but otherwise does good science.

I'm reminded of an article he wrote that spent half it's length bashing the SCA & HEMA and the other half doing good work.

Check out Freelance Academy Press, they seem to be very good guys over there.*

*Note: I'm biased as Christian Tobler gave me a free signed book for helping him with a debacle some years ago.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-17, 00:45:22 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-16, 23:44:06 »
Seconded on Freelance, they're good people and great information!  If you're not opposed to the Italian side of the things, please check out Bob Charrette's Armizare.
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-17, 13:10:53 »
John Clements reminds me of a scientist investigating something interesting that refuses to be peer reviewed but otherwise does good science.

I'm reminded of an article he wrote that spent half it's length bashing the SCA & HEMA and the other half doing good work.

That's very much the case. He's very capable, but is also a narcissist. And sadly, that's the way his writing style works. It comes off as insecure, in the sense that he feels the need to denigrate everyone else in large, sweeping, all-encompassing brush strokes, in order to make his point stand (you know, the "I'm the only one who is right!!" sort of deal). It's just not necessary.

Check out Freelance Academy Press, they seem to be very good guys over there.*

*Note: I'm biased as Christian Tobler gave me a free signed book for helping him with a debacle some years ago.

Very good guys over there, and very good materials as well.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

David

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: 2014-05-17, 13:15:48 »
Thanks everyone for the info! Is there any decent sword fighting books that anybody knows of?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-05-17, 17:23:05 »
Thanks everyone for the info! Is there any decent sword fighting books that anybody knows of?

For Italian Fiore:

Seconded on Freelance, they're good people and great information!  If you're not opposed to the Italian side of the things, please check out Bob Charrette's Armizare.

Also for German Liechtenauer:

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/secrets.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Sigmund-Ringecks-Knightly-Art-Longsword/dp/1581606885
« Last Edit: 2014-05-17, 17:26:02 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #7 on: 2014-05-19, 03:38:02 »
Another book by Christian Henry Tobler: Fighting with the German Longsword.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-05-19, 16:13:42 »

Yep, he does bash everyone somewhat equally, I took a class with him years ago and he bashed eastern martial arts too. He's a good teacher, he has skills, but comes off crass and rude to say the least. Doesn't make his knowledge worthless, he's sort of an "acquired taste" if anything. After the class w/him, the group went out to lunch, and he showed us Conan The Barbarian: The Musical. Fairly normal guy, minus the bragging and condescension.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2014-05-23, 02:02:12 »
crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i have never prayed to you  beforeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............. help me!!!!!!!! or......to helllllllllll with youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-05-23, 07:49:28 »
crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i have never prayed to you  beforeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............. help me!!!!!!!! or......to helllllllllll with youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Fall down seven, get up eight.