"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: Living the Code  (Read 8728 times)

David

• New Forum Member
Living the Code
« on: 2014-05-12, 18:55:03 »
Im new to the forum. Since joining ive been thinking about the before everything i do and say. Its helping me become a better person. Ive always been charitable and kindhearted but its helping me in areas i wasnt so good at. Did any one else feel the same way when the started?

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: Living the Code
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-12, 19:34:56 »
Im new to the forum. Since joining ive been thinking about the before everything i do and say. Its helping me become a better person. Ive always been charitable and kindhearted but its helping me in areas i wasnt so good at. Did any one else feel the same way when the started?

Most certainly! I joined sometime this year and after speaking with my fellow forum brothers and reading the code of conduct I felt serious moral improvement. It has gained me respect and trust from my peers. Being part of the Order, it has become sort of a moral duty to spread this basic, yet nessary, way of life. For I believe that chivalry is not a trait or quality that only a knight of old possesses, but one that all should carry. Even the simple acts of holding the door open for someone can make a difference. It makes me glad to see more people like you coming forth and finding the code making your life a better one.

EDIT: If you wish David, you can introduce yourself in the great hall if or if not you feel yourself to be an active member on this site.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-12, 19:38:59 by Sir Aiden »
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-13, 02:00:04 »
I most definitely know what you mean. Interacting with like-minded individuals made me not feel so alone when it came to living the code. There have been times I've struggled, and the other members have always been there to keep me on the path.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-13, 02:30:44 »
I try to live it everyday of my life in and out of the SCA and here..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-04, 17:16:26 »
I did, actually. I find myself trying to be a better person now that I am a bit more aware of the concept of chivalry. The thought of donating regularly to charity probably never would have even crossed my mind before coming across this forum. While not the most amazing change in the world, a little attempt to help those less fortunate than me is better than nothing.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #5 on: 2016-04-24, 14:50:42 »
Living the Code of Chivalry is more or less application of both ideal and values, also talking with like minded individuals does help a great deal.

While on this subject I will add this.  Living by the Code does call for one to be genuine about belief and value(s).  While most people that are like minded will have different views and moral goals, the Code remains the same.  Therefore be certain of yourself, how high your goals and keeping in mind that actions speak more than words.   
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2016-05-02, 22:10:35 »
It helped Motivate me, and it also changed the kind of people I hanged out with. I think Ive dipped during these past two years of Highschool. Sometimes Ill look for more motivation to follow the Code, when as many have guided me, all we need at times is discipline to do what needs to be done or whats right. Discipline is especially important in this modern age of convenience, Chivalry may not seem/be at all convenient.
Which brings me to a quote which I'm stealing from Thorsteinn... "A King may move a man, a father may claim a son, but remember that even when those who move you be Kings, or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus." Or that, "Virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that. "- Baldwin IV, Kingdom of Heaven
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2016-05-06, 01:29:39 »
It helped Motivate me, and it also changed the kind of people I hanged out with. I think Ive dipped during these past two years of Highschool. Sometimes Ill look for more motivation to follow the Code, when as many have guided me, all we need at times is discipline to do what needs to be done or whats right. Discipline is especially important in this modern age of convenience, Chivalry may not seem/be at all convenient.
Which brings me to a quote which I'm stealing from Thorsteinn... "A King may move a man, a father may claim a son, but remember that even when those who move you be Kings, or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus." Or that, "Virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that. "- Baldwin IV, Kingdom of Heaven

Very good quote Naythan.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Callym

« Reply #8 on: 2016-08-07, 23:37:24 »
I am a new forum member and, I won't hide it, am aspirant to joining the order to replace a brotherhood I left over moral and intellectual disputes. My own ideas on living the code are somewhat odd I think. The code of chivalry demands humility, but I think there is an inherent demand for pride as well. Not false bravado but the sprezzatura of the true gentleman as put forth by Baldassare Castiglione.

A man must have pride in himself, his beliefs, and his associations to act with the certitude of a knight. To act with certitude of this sort is to act knowing you must defend your actions, even possibly to defend them with violent action, and a man who would do so over something they take no pride in is either a brute or a fool.

As to some other points... associating with those of a like mind is helpful, but it should never be the basis for a belief, associating to closely with those of a like mind can create an echo chamber, and a knight or aspiring knight should have not just physical courage but moral and intellectual courage enough to test their ideas by confronting other views in study and discourse. I for one am a fan of reading and meditation, especially when I have exhausted myself in physical training.

jason77

• Forum Member
  • Vincit Qui Se Vincit
« Reply #9 on: 2016-08-08, 20:39:08 »
What is your particular physical discipline of study?

I don't see anything wrong with what your saying so long as one has the humility to also understand that one's own subjective beliefs are not an "absolute" when dealing with others outside of one's own "personal culture." Therefore I find the expression:
you must defend your actions, even possibly to defend them with violent action, and a man who would do so over something they take no pride in is either a brute or a fool.
I am rarely in a position to defend "my actions" with violence as my actions don't tend to lead to violence (except on a competitive level) nor do they provoke others to violence. If I was performing actions which antagonized others to violence then I would question my choices and spend some time in self-examination and introspection.
"Love everybody, but never sell your sword" - Paul Coelho

Callym

« Reply #10 on: 2016-08-10, 16:33:30 »
In regards to defending ones actions I'm speaking to some degree in the abstract, a gentleman shouldn't seek to provoke conflict but should be ready for it. While arguably one should never force their beliefs on another there are some universals.

On the matter of physical disciplines. I fence, practice kendo and iaido, and have practiced karate as well as other martial arts since I was a kid.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2016-08-11, 14:31:48 »
My own ideas on living the code are somewhat odd I think. The code of chivalry demands humility, but I think there is an inherent demand for pride as well. Not false bravado but the sprezzatura of the true gentleman as put forth by Baldassare Castiglione.

Sprezzatura is Italian for what we would call being cool headed.  If by pride you mean being proud of what you do, then that is not a problem. 

A man must have pride in himself, his beliefs, and his associations to act with the certitude of a knight. To act with certitude of this sort is to act knowing you must defend your actions, even possibly to defend them with violent action, and a man who would do so over something they take no pride in is either a brute or a fool.

Again, if you mean being proud of beliefs, associations and certainty, there is no problem with that.  The thing to be careful is letting being proud becoming being arrogant.  Self Accountability helps with that problem.

As to some other points... associating with those of a like mind is helpful, but it should never be the basis for a belief, associating to closely with those of a like mind can create an echo chamber, and a knight or aspiring knight should have not just physical courage but moral and intellectual courage enough to test their ideas by confronting other views in study and discourse. I for one am a fan of reading and meditation, especially when I have exhausted myself in physical training.

The mind of a Knight must be equally sharp as his sword is sharp.  Translation, both mind and body have to work in unison whether in training or in education.
Knight of The Lion Blade