Main > The Round Table

Living the Code

<< < (3/3)

Callym:
In regards to defending ones actions I'm speaking to some degree in the abstract, a gentleman shouldn't seek to provoke conflict but should be ready for it. While arguably one should never force their beliefs on another there are some universals.

On the matter of physical disciplines. I fence, practice kendo and iaido, and have practiced karate as well as other martial arts since I was a kid.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---My own ideas on living the code are somewhat odd I think. The code of chivalry demands humility, but I think there is an inherent demand for pride as well. Not false bravado but the sprezzatura of the true gentleman as put forth by Baldassare Castiglione.
--- End quote ---

Sprezzatura is Italian for what we would call being cool headed.  If by pride you mean being proud of what you do, then that is not a problem. 

--- Quote ---A man must have pride in himself, his beliefs, and his associations to act with the certitude of a knight. To act with certitude of this sort is to act knowing you must defend your actions, even possibly to defend them with violent action, and a man who would do so over something they take no pride in is either a brute or a fool.
--- End quote ---

Again, if you mean being proud of beliefs, associations and certainty, there is no problem with that.  The thing to be careful is letting being proud becoming being arrogant.  Self Accountability helps with that problem.

--- Quote ---As to some other points... associating with those of a like mind is helpful, but it should never be the basis for a belief, associating to closely with those of a like mind can create an echo chamber, and a knight or aspiring knight should have not just physical courage but moral and intellectual courage enough to test their ideas by confronting other views in study and discourse. I for one am a fan of reading and meditation, especially when I have exhausted myself in physical training.
--- End quote ---

The mind of a Knight must be equally sharp as his sword is sharp.  Translation, both mind and body have to work in unison whether in training or in education.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version