"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Chivalric Weekend  (Read 25935 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Chivalric Weekend
« Reply #15 on: 2008-06-16, 00:23:07 »

So, any news? How was the event? Have any interesting stories to tell?

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #16 on: 2008-06-16, 04:10:16 »
ya bill whats the news! :)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2008-06-16, 14:31:12 »
The news is that I'm exhausted. :) Got back really late last night (7.5 hour drive) and went straight to bed.

Had a great time. Lots of training, comraderie, and fun. Todd Sullivan, who hosted the event, was an amazing host. As Christian put it, Todd is a force of nature: He was *constantly* on the go in order to make the event run smoothly and keep everyone as happy as possible. The man's a true gentleman.

The classes were top notch. I technically have either taken them before at WMAW, or in Christian's case, I was the demo partner for them, but they were absolutely still worth going through again. Greg's Italian material was especially great for me, as I really enjoy learning more and more about the parallel tradition. His class on Fiore's Iron Gate guard was awesome, even to someone who's already done it.

Got to do a lot of "note trading" with other serious practioners. I also got to meet many more of Christian's students, which was a pleasure. And the round table discussion on Saturday night, situated around the large bonfire, was excellent.

Most importantly, of course, was the comraderie between classes: The discussions, the interpretations, and even the goofing around. Plus, Christian had a new toy, a prototype of a new A&A poleax. It's essentially their current warhammer, only with a long shaft and langets, and it was really awesome. I'm going to contact Craig about converting the one that I own.

I'm still recovering from the lack of sleep, and I've got to go teach in just a short while (today's the first day of summer camps), but I'll have pictures later.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2008-06-16, 20:43:54 »

It sounds like you had a great time. Maybe I'll be able to aim towards attending in the future. I look forward to seeing the pictures!
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #19 on: 2008-06-18, 15:43:35 »
I've been looking over some of the 2008 gallery: http://www.freewebs.com/chivalricweekend/2008gallery.htm

It looks like it was a blast! I'd have loved to see some of the period originals that were there. Not to mention all of the camaraderie and so forth, as I imagine it was much like WMAW, just smaller. It's a shame I didn't get to go.

Hah, there's a picture of Pete Kautz without his sunglasses. I'm amazed. :)
« Last Edit: 2008-06-19, 15:26:58 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2008-06-19, 05:13:12 »
Yeah, here's the link to the photos that Todd Sullivan took:

http://www.freewebs.com/chivalricweekend/2008gallery.htm

There are far more than what I have, and they generally are much better than what I took as well. That was a really good event.

Hah, there's a picture of Pete Kautz without his sunglasses. I'm amazed. :)

You know why he always wears the sunglasses? They're eye protection for when he's teaching. I always thought that was a smart idea.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2008-06-19, 15:26:14 »
Definitely a good idea. And much more stylish than safety goggles! :) Not like I'd ever actually pick on someone for wearing sunglasses a lot. :)

Oops, I posted that same photo link in my previous message, but used the "image" button instead of the "hyperlink" button. Fixed.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-19, 15:28:27 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2008-06-20, 02:31:28 »
The more I think back on this event, the more I'm starting to miss it. :)

It certainly isn't the same scale as WMAW, but it had the same spirit. There was a round table discussion on Saturday night around the bonfire, lead by Christian and Greg, which began with the question of why it is we do what we do. This was guided into the discussion of morality, ethical behaviour, and what Chivalric Arts mean in the modern world. This is a topic that can sometimes come across as a little hokey and cheesey, but it was treated with a gravity and respect that it deserves, and there were a number of very heartfelt commentaries throughout the discussion. The one thing that really hit home for me was just how strong our ties are in this community, and so much of this common bond is how these Chivalric arts tend to draw out some of the best in people.

I came to WMA because I like swords. But I stay because of the people I've met through it.

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #23 on: 2008-06-20, 02:59:56 »
I think you summed up my feelings quite nicely.  I'm really sorry that I missed the round table.  That is a discussion I would truly like to have listened in on.  (I would have been too shy to say anything, but I would have been all ears.)

And, as far as the people I've met, well, I won't get too mushy here, but <punch on the shoulder for all of you>, I think y'all know how important you've become to me.
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2008-06-20, 03:32:27 »

Absolutely, I agree. I've been extremely impressed with the whole community. I've been a part of many different online communities before, but this community transcends the online aspects and tends to build some very real face to face friendships.

I know what you mean about how some of the discussion could, on the surface, sound hokey to those outside of it. But I know what you mean, and I really regret having missed the Round Table. Chivalric ideals and arts definitely have a place in the modern world, even if for most people the context and details are different than they were in period.

I'd probably have mostly listened, like Pamela, with perhaps one or two comments added in here and there. I have a tendency to be much more eloquent in writing than in person, and even then not usually on short notice. I can't think fast enough during a live discussion, so my shy side takes over. :)  (but then, I have this odd fascination with "kicking the bee hive", so to speak)

I'd have loved to take part in that.

We need to have some relatively local round tables or something. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #25 on: 2008-06-20, 14:19:37 »

That's a really really good idea.   8)  I have so many thoughts on this subject that bounce in and out of my head like a pinball table on tilt.  I would enjoy hearing others with similar ideals put them into words.  I haven't been able to find a way to phrase my thoughts in order to accurately convey them to others. 

Warning Labyrinth reference ahead...I'm sure I'm making it far too complicated in my head.  After all "Say the right words," turned out to be remarkably simple.

Das Bill started a thread on this topic quite some time ago:  http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,87.0.html

"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Christian Tobler

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: 2008-06-20, 15:09:11 »
Hello folks,

Thanks, Bill, for the kind words on the event. And thanks again for coming - your presence added much to the enterprise and on many levels.

Indeed, a round table discussion of this sort could come off as hokum, if not done carefully. But, ironically, when we do such things at Selohaar gathers at home, where everyone's in garb, they're run much the same way as this past weekend's discourse was.

I think this has much to do with the "backward looking" nature of chivalry in all its incarnations. Knights and writers expounding on the chivalric ideal, in the 14th century, harkened back to the mythical days of Arthur, or the earlier historic days of the crusader Godfroi de Bouillon, for exemplars of what it meant to be a noble man of arms. Undoubtedly, they did this in the language of their day, rather than trying to 'act' as if they were those characters. So there's always been a combination of drawing from the past while finding a voice for the present, whether one was sitting in discourse at the court of Edward III or sitting around a fire in 21st upstate New York.

All the best,

Christian

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2008-06-20, 15:28:34 »
I think this has much to do with the "backward looking" nature of chivalry in all its incarnations. Knights and writers expounding on the chivalric ideal, in the 14th century, harkened back to the mythical days of Arthur, or the earlier historic days of the crusader Godfroi de Bouillon, for exemplars of what it meant to be a noble man of arms. Undoubtedly, they did this in the language of their day, rather than trying to 'act' as if they were those characters. So there's always been a combination of drawing from the past while finding a voice for the present, whether one was sitting in discourse at the court of Edward III or sitting around a fire in 21st upstate New York.

Very much agreed.

It is unfortunately very "trendy" these days to look at something which is idealistic and to tear it down into something base. This is true of many historians, many college professors, many elements of pop culture, and even many Joe Schmoes who think tearing such things down make them "counter-culture" and therefore smarter than everyone else. :) At one point in my life, I used to buy into it, even if deep down inside I was more idealistic than what I paid lip service to.

mortuary3

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: 2008-06-20, 17:40:52 »
Looks like it was a grand time indeed.

Really enjoyed the photos from the event.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #29 on: 2008-06-21, 03:53:08 »

That's a really really good idea.   8)  I have so many thoughts on this subject that bounce in and out of my head like a pinball table on tilt.  I would enjoy hearing others with similar ideals put them into words.  I haven't been able to find a way to phrase my thoughts in order to accurately convey them to others. 

Well, I think Bill needs to buy a house with a grand hall, and a large circular table in the middle.
Sir Ed T. Toton III