"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: New Kettle Helm and Belt  (Read 6416 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
New Kettle Helm and Belt
« on: 2014-04-28, 20:43:55 »
Recently I ordered a 13th century kettle helm and belt to compliment my late 13th century kit. Originally I was going to craft a belt (still will eventually) but I find this as a good hands on experience to really get a sense of what I will make in the future, a prototype if you will. This thin belt with brass fittings should look well with a soft kit and hard kit. The belt does require wholes to be punched in it for the tongue. It is about 57" long. As for the kettle helm, it works for multiple centuries from about 12th century to 15th. It also works for a foot soldier or a German Knight of my time. Now the helmet came in two sizes, one was too small and the other a bit large. But better to go with the larger one, because it will accommodate any padded coif and mail coif. I really like this because it will make any time at the Fair or other events more pleasant as it keeps the sun off my head and neck. It also creates good circulation and is made from 14 gauge steel.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: New Kettle Helm and Belt
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-28, 21:27:42 »
Looking good, best to go with a foot soldier's kit first then build up from there. Thats how I did it. Also going for the large works best if you got a big head and want to add padding to the helm with the coif. I had an issue where my old kettle helm dug into my forehead thanks to it being too small. Now all you need is a padded gambeson and a shield and weapon and you should be good to go as a foot soldier. Add a maille hauberk you can be a sergeant and chausses then knight, and knights did use kettle helms in Germany BTW according to effigies and brasses.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-28, 22:11:40 »
I’m in the market for an inexpensive kettle hat.  Could you elaborate on the manufacturer and vendor for both the kettle and belt?  Maybe provide reviews in the review section?
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-28, 22:16:45 »
Nice belt, I like the fittings on it!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-29, 00:54:15 »
I’m in the market for an inexpensive kettle hat.  Could you elaborate on the manufacturer and vendor for both the kettle and belt?  Maybe provide reviews in the review section?

KoA sells both of these. They sell many kettle helms, but I bought this one in particular: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB0387&name=Kettle+Hat

As for the belt, I got this one: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNLA6409ABR&name=Leather+Medieval+Belt+with+Quatrefoil+Brass+Studs

EDIT: Sure, I'll give each of them a review. I also will supply in this post some better pics of the belts length and features.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-29, 01:42:22 by Sir Aiden »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-30, 16:24:02 »
Nice acquisitions, Aiden- I've been flirting w/the idea of getting one of those kettle hats, but always end up w/a spangen for some reason (no brim).
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-30, 19:31:20 »
Nice acquisitions, Aiden- I've been flirting w/the idea of getting one of those kettle hats, but always end up w/a spangen for some reason (no brim).

They are very comfortable and not expensive. This is very standard and is not depicted in the morgen bible, but in general not ALL helmets at that time look like one example. My only concern was that the frame(or whatever the steel strips on the head are) aren't perfect. But I am VERY satisfied with it.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2014-05-01, 18:04:35 »
Congrats!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-05-02, 04:15:47 »
Sorry for not making a review yet, I have been too busy and have not had the chance. I will try to this sunday.