"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Wallace Collection Catalogues, European Arms and Armour, Volume I Armour  (Read 5618 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Sorry for the cross-post from myArmoury, but I’m very excited!

I like to escape from work over my lunch hour and browse the used book stores nearby. Thursday was rainy and generally miserable by noon, so off to the bookstore I went!

After a fruitless search it was approaching time to head back to work, when out of the corner of my eye I notice a very bland looking paperback tucked behind other titles. After dusting off the cover, I was overjoyed to find a copy of Wallace Collection Catalogues, European Arms and Armour, Text with historical notes and illustrations: Volume I Armour written by Sir James Mann in 1962. Needless to say, I’ve been happily pouring over the catalogue for hours!   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
That's absolutely awesome. Nice eye  ;)
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Oh how cool! What a lucky find.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
very cool. all 3 are nice. happy reading

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
very cool. all 3 are nice. happy reading

I know volume II is “Arms”, what’s in volume III?
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Wow, lucky find! Congrats!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
It has found the precious!!!
Lucky find indeed, I know I really enjoy an armor book with illustrations other than just pictures from a camera.
The first medieval book I completely read through was simply called "Armor" The cover was knights charging on horseback from a 13th century picture bible. I do not remember the author for I read this book in the beginning of 7th grade. It taught me basically my main foundation for Medieval armor(although in 5th grade I did read a picture book that wa about the crusades and it mentioned this was the start of plate armor, kneecaps and elbow caps) and it was all illustrations by the author.
He actually spanned from ancient egypt to modern day tanks.
I was never able to find the book again though.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
It has found the precious!!!
Lucky find indeed, I know I really enjoy an armor book with illustrations other than just pictures from a camera.
The first medieval book I completely read through was simply called "Armor" The cover was knights charging on horseback from a 13th century picture bible. I do not remember the author for I read this book in the beginning of 7th grade. It taught me basically my main foundation for Medieval armor(although in 5th grade I did read a picture book that wa about the crusades and it mentioned this was the start of plate armor, kneecaps and elbow caps) and it was all illustrations by the author.
He actually spanned from ancient egypt to modern day tanks.
I was never able to find the book again though.

Heh, got a little nostalgic there.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"