"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: Six board chest  (Read 18621 times)

Paulus von Zurich

• New Forum Member
Re: Six board chest
« Reply #15 on: 2014-08-15, 18:19:14 »
Beautiful! Pegs? Nails?
  The hardware is held on by screws until I can find some handforged nails small enough to use on them. 

Buy the correct size of nails, put them in a vice and whack them three or four times to transform the head into a forged look.  You can also heat them with a propane torch and hammer them to make the job somewhat easier. Then you can drop the nail (while hot) into a container of oil to blacken them and give them the appearance of handforged nails.

I have done this many times over the years while building various medieval items. I have even forged the points square on modern nails for using them for clench nails.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2014-08-18, 14:58:32 »
The hardware is held on by screws until I can find some handforged nails small enough to use on them.  I don't want to screw it up with modern round wire nails.

I missed this, but I did the same with mine (screws). My plan is to grind down the screws until it looks like a standard nail head, rough it up to look hand forged-ish, and paint it black. Durability of screws, almost-appearance of nails.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-08-18, 15:52:09 »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #18 on: 2014-08-19, 15:16:28 »
I am playing with the idea of making one of these for the baronial guard. I am already spearheading the outfitting of the "conscripts" (aka people we pull off the street to be temporary members). That way we can keep them nice and keep them together when not in use. Only trouble is I am not the build it type so it will probably look like an actualized Piccaso when I finish. (yes I probably butchered the poor man's name but meh).