"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Pickaxe Handles?  (Read 5044 times)

Sir Arma

• New Forum Member
Pickaxe Handles?
« on: 2014-04-18, 12:02:06 »
Have any of you ever fought with a pickaxe handle? I've seen a few HMB and reenactment people train with them and I was wondering how good they are compared to other weapons. Wielded in one hand they seem very clumsy, but with two hands they look very effective.

Thoughts?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Pickaxe Handles?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-18, 13:29:50 »

Not personally, no. I'd probably avoid it for the same reason I don't really use wooden wasters anymore. The wood is unforgiving in a strike. That is, if you're training with an opponent, they hit like baseball bats. Steel swords are actually much more forgiving, because they flex.

On the other hand, training against a pell, sure, use whatever gives you some good weight in your hands.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-18, 13:53:18 »
Maybe it is me but I thought a pickaxe handle is just a thick stick. It is the skill of the handler that must be of concern. Seems to be nothing more than a blunt club. Probably has good balance as a blunt weapon. Won't say much for effectiveness.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-18, 22:44:02 »
Maybe it is me but I thought a pickaxe handle is just a thick stick. It is the skill of the handler that must be of concern. Seems to be nothing more than a blunt club. Probably has good balance as a blunt weapon. Won't say much for effectiveness.

On a Less serious note
In Skyrim I cut a mans head off with a pickaxe In a prison fight.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"