"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: The Templars, book recomendation.  (Read 5214 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
The Templars, book recomendation.
« on: 2014-04-07, 12:10:21 »
The Templars by Piers paul Read, is a great book(although I have not finished it) That covers alot of history. Its first 2 chapters are setting up for what caused the first crusade and then to why the Templars or Poor fellpw soldiers of christ formed. It not only talks about there military prowess but all the key people, what thy did and there political power.
It also includes maps of areas and what they looked like during that time.
"The Dramatic history of the knights Templar. The most powerful military order of the crusades."
« Last Edit: 2014-04-07, 12:11:25 by Sir Nate »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: The Templars, book recomendation.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-07, 15:04:51 »
If you're interested in going hardcore... the definitive book on the Templars is the English translation of the original Rule of the Templars.  Basically the regulations that governed the Order.

http://www.amazon.com/Templars-Studies-History-Medieval-Religion/dp/0851157017
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-07, 23:26:57 »
Wow, That's awesome. I may order that soon since I am going to be ordering some stuff. (double wrap belt, Finally, and basically just clothes)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-08, 02:12:04 »
Yet another book added to my wish list!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-08, 02:49:39 »
Barbara Frale's discovery, "The Chinon Parchment", is extremely important Templar material as well. I have a few books on the shelf I haven't cracked open yet, but some Templar-ism is on the menu for 2014 :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-08, 12:22:06 »
Barbara Frale's discovery, "The Chinon Parchment", is extremely important Templar material as well. I have a few books on the shelf I haven't cracked open yet, but some Templar-ism is on the menu for 2014 :)

Then get ready far a large check!
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-08, 13:55:03 »
Just an extra note on book-finding in general... Always check the author's credentials, check to see if it is published by an academic press, and check to see that there are cited sources. If you want to take it further, checking the sources cited is a good idea. The author should be using a mix of primary sources (sources from the era) and secondary sources from other credible authors or at least date from the last ten years.

When it comes to the Templars, finding a credible book can be a bit tricky. Conspiracy theories abound about the Templars. Nine times out of ten the books will be written by journalists or popular historians looking to cash in on the public's interest rather than academic historians looking to contribute to modern Crusade scholarship.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero