Main > The Courtyard

Practicing with sharps

(1/9) > >>

Sir Edward:
Anyone else see this thread on myArmoury?

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=153467

It started out sounding like a question about doing simple drills with sharps, but then they OP clarified that he was talking about a friend of his who was supposedly sparring with sharps. Quickly the thread turned into a discussion about minimum safety standards, and examples from ARMA where control and precision are assumed to be sufficient replacements for safety gear in some cases.

As seems to frequently happen, I posted a reply and the thread died. I used to find that irritating. Now I look at it as having the final word. lol :)

I've been expecting someone to drastically misinterpret my meaning, and then the thread would continue, but it hasn't happened. I guess that's good. :)

Das Bill:
I had followed the thread, but I didn't feel like getting involved. I felt enough people had made the points I would have made.

Short answer: Sparring with sharps is stupid beyond words. Unbelievably stupid.

Training with sharps, however, is a different story, but only in certain forms of training. There are certain Japanese swordsmanship schools that do certain paired kata with sharpened weapons. Each step is prearranged, and the practitioners have also been studying for years. There is definately a level of danger involved, but ultimately there is a high level of control, particularly because each person knows what the other is going to do. I know Guy Windsor occassionally has his advanced students do certain drills with sharps (but again, these are drills, not free play). And in the thread, someone brought up how the Italian master Viggiani recommended training with sharps to force the student to really worry about not being hit, but they failed to point out that Viggiani was also not talking about free fencing.

Sir Wolf:
heh, sometimes i wonder if anyone ever listens or just wants to put forth their own opinions to be heard over there. 

ya i totally agree, training with sharps is ok only at high, HIGH lvls or under direct supervision of a trainer that is TRAINED in practicing in sharps, but for the average person or low lvl, its stupid. just stupid. i remember with Ed and I used to play around with starfires. man u wore thick gloves, fencing masks, padded coats etc for that "just in case" something happened. and those were crowbar blunts

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2009-02-05, 17:05:39 ---
Short answer: Sparring with sharps is stupid beyond words. Unbelievably stupid.

--- End quote ---

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Practice drills, cutting practice, etc are a different story. But I find it hard to imagine that anyone is stupid enough to free-fence with sharps.

Hehe, I remember playing with the Starfires. :) Medieval crowbars... that about sums it up. But we weren't really trying to hit each other either, it was slow-speed attacks and parries, and we still geared up anyway.

Sir James (Fiat Lux):
The Fiat Lux uses Starfires pretty frequently for our steel fights. Occasionally there's an Albion or 2, but the lifetime warranty is nice. We've broken more than one of these things over someone's head!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version