"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Medieval Documentaries  (Read 7054 times)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Medieval Documentaries
« on: 2014-03-24, 22:11:48 »
Here's a link to a playlist I made of documentaries on Youtube. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLApWuO9MiN-QLPwHS9BPCsW-akDuC2LP8
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Medieval Documentaries
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-24, 22:12:32 »
If you have any suggestions of other docs, let me know and I can add them to the playlist

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-24, 23:07:58 »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-24, 23:13:04 »
Awesome! Bookmarking this. :D

I can think of a couple off-hand that could be added.

This one with Dr. Toby Capwell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3FzoZ-wVWUY

It doesn't really pertain to military stuff, but I rather enjoyed Worst Jobs in History with Tony Robinson:

This is more of a mini-documentary, so I don't know if it would really count:

Maybe the rest of the Weapons that Made Britain series, too? I think the whole series is up on YouTube. At least it was last time I checked.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-30, 16:35:37 by DouglasTheYounger »
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-25, 12:55:09 »

Great! I've put them in my list to look at for postings to the Order FB page. I like throwing some videos on there from time to time.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-30, 16:24:54 »
Mike loades will be feasting on the blood of farbs this night.
Lol I love loades whatever he is in.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

LionPride32

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-31, 14:29:28 »
I'm always on youtube watching documentaries. They tons of great medieval shows. The Crescent and the Cross is a good one, and I also recommed the History of Britian shows, I think there's. Ten episodes. From the first saxon kings through William the conquerer, the Angevin Empire, Black Death and Hundred yrs war.....so much awesome stuuf, I learned so much and loved it!!

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #7 on: 2014-04-01, 04:33:25 »
I remember high school history classes being mind numbingly boring (and I was really interested in medieval history even then).

Wouldn’t it be something if they made those high school classes as interesting as the shows referenced above?  More people might pay attention, grow up, assume positions of political power, and NOT repeat the same mistakes over and over again. 

Wishful thinking, I know.   ::)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #8 on: 2014-04-01, 12:37:18 »
I remember high school history classes being mind numbingly boring (and I was really interested in medieval history even then).

Wouldn’t it be something if they made those high school classes as interesting as the shows referenced above?  More people might pay attention, grow up, assume positions of political power, and NOT repeat the same mistakes over and over again. 

Wishful thinking, I know.   ::)

You would think so...when I was a history teacher I showed documentaries like that all the time but because they had to write reflection papers or essays to compare and contrast, vocab scavenger hunting (listen for the documentary to explain/define a term and write it down), etc...they found it awful and still didnt do the work...how much they learned we will never know...I tried though, I tried...

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #9 on: 2014-04-01, 19:05:15 »
My history teacher brings in hundreds of artifacts. He even lets us hold them. They are mostly Civil War, WW1 and WW2 era stuff. Brings in uniforms, helmets, gas masks, etc. He shows us documentaries some times. He is by far my favourite history teacher in the school. Very passionate.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2014-04-02, 13:10:49 »
My history teacher brings in hundreds of artifacts. He even lets us hold them. They are mostly Civil War, WW1 and WW2 era stuff. Brings in uniforms, helmets, gas masks, etc. He shows us documentaries some times. He is by far my favourite history teacher in the school. Very passionate.

That's really great. I think most of the history teachers I had tried to make it interesting, but there was only so much they could do without having access to visual aids, or some sort of "hook" to really grab us. It ended up being super dull when I was a kid, which is a shame.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-04-02, 13:29:30 »
I vividly remember my high school history teacher having us reenact the Battle of Hastings outside one day. Half of us had cardboard shields and stood on the ridge. The rest of us charged on broomsticks or threw pine cones at the "shield wall".