Main > The Round Table

Medieval Trencher

<< < (11/12) > >>

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-04-18, 17:11:59 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-04-18, 16:58:12 ---Did the wealthy use Trenchers? It seems like that would be very unlikely, except maybe in earlier periods.

--- End quote ---

Sure did! They might be made out of pewter, or silver, or nicely crafted wood. Table-manners and how the food was served was a bit different than today.

For instance, for the wealthier classes, it was common for the food to be brought in and served to groups of four people at the table, who would cut small bite-sized pieces off of the meats/breads/cheeses, to place on their trencher, and they would eat it from there in small quantities. The idea of putting an entire meal on a plate for one person would have been seen as extremely bad taste and gluttonous.

They would also only touch the food with the thumb and first two fingers from their right hand to eat it, and stabilize it with the same fingers of the left hand while cutting servings. This way the hand that touches your mouth never touches the group servings. Also, the three-fingers set them aside from the peasantry, who would eat using all five.

--- End quote ---

My bad, I thought trenchers were only made of Bread! I thought that is what separated a trencher from a plate. What does separate a trencher from a plate?
does it come down to terminology? plates bring out the food and then people put the food on their trenchers, While today people bring out the food in Dish's and people put it on their plate/ people bring the food out on plates and people just eat it on the plate.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-04-18, 17:14:23 ---What's an appropriate wood for a trencher? I might add one to my "Long List of Projects I'll Probably Never Get Around To Doing". ::)

--- End quote ---

Bahahaha you have one too?? :D

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-04-18, 19:22:27 ---
--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-04-18, 17:14:23 ---What's an appropriate wood for a trencher? I might add one to my "Long List of Projects I'll Probably Never Get Around To Doing". ::)

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I thought that was pretty much a requirement for this hobby. ;)

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-04-18, 22:15:17 ---
--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-04-18, 19:22:27 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I thought that was pretty much a requirement for this hobby. ;)

--- End quote ---

Making a list for things Ill never get around to doing
Is now on my to do list

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-04-18, 17:21:18 ---What does separate a trencher from a plate?
does it come down to terminology? plates bring out the food and then people put the food on their trenchers, While today people bring out the food in Dish's and people put it on their plate/ people bring the food out on plates and people just eat it on the plate.

--- End quote ---

It's basically just a small plate, so mostly terminology.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version