"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: Simple 14th C Turnshoes (Photo Heavy)  (Read 62878 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Simple 14th C Turnshoes (Photo Heavy)
« Reply #30 on: 2014-03-16, 10:25:56 »
Sir Nate,  as I've mentioned earlier in this thread I run on the hard street 3 or 4 times a week with minimalist footwear and it cured my knee problems. Please understand this is not just some unresearched assertion I'm making. It comes from a lot of background research and years of doing it myself. Modern man does not give his own body enough credit, end of story.

As for shoes, I'm not going to be making any for anyone any time soon as I refuse to make a product that I cannot stand behind as having a good fit. I encourage anyone interested to make their own.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #31 on: 2014-03-18, 23:05:33 »
Sir Nate,  as I've mentioned earlier in this thread I run on the hard street 3 or 4 times a week with minimalist footwear and it cured my knee problems. Please understand this is not just some unresearched assertion I'm making. It comes from a lot of background research and years of doing it myself. Modern man does not give his own body enough credit, end of story.

As for shoes, I'm not going to be making any for anyone any time soon as I refuse to make a product that I cannot stand behind as having a good fit. I encourage anyone interested to make their own.

Ha! Make them, if only I had more time to sooner than now.
We'll like I said, I'm no foot expert, I guess I gave a good example of how modern man doesn't give enough credit to the body. In a similar case to humans, my step father believes a lot of great builds like the pyramids were made by aliens, because humans didn't have the skill. I always tell him he is not giving our ancestors enough credit.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2014-03-19, 00:14:41 »
I always tell him he is not giving our ancestors enough credit.

That sir, is the truth!

So after a full weekend of wearing my turnshoes all day, they gave me no problems.  The only issue I had was one of my shoes coming untied once, but that happens on any shoe, modern or medieval. :)

I wore them on pavement for a time, and of course they're not that comfortable on pavement since there's no padding, but what I did notice is the wear on the sole was minimal which was a pleasant surprise.  It rained on Sunday afternoon while we broke down, and I literally ran in them on wet grass and no slippage!

Came home and oiled the leather with neatsfoot oil and they look no worse for the wear.  Overall, I declare them a success.  I will make a second pair when I get the chance so one can serve as arming shoes, and the other will not have pointing holes in the toes.
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2014-03-19, 02:37:18 »
It rained on Sunday afternoon while we broke down, and I literally ran in them on wet grass and no slippage!

So much for my hopes of bullying Sir Nathan around on wet grass at some point! (I have lugged soles, he has slicks) :o

As far as not slipping or sliding, do you think it helps that you are used to running with the five-toed shoes and running properly, instead of "modern"? I slipped in mud with the cheapo-starter-flat-soles, but that was clumsily trudging around the faire site; and that was just while walking, let alone running.

I will make a second pair when I get the chance so one can serve as arming shoes

You have a typo, I think you left off "for James" from the end of that sentence?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2014-03-19, 10:56:25 »
As far as not slipping or sliding, do you think it helps that you are used to running with the five-toed shoes and running properly, instead of "modern"? I slipped in mud with the cheapo-starter-flat-soles, but that was clumsily trudging around the faire site; and that was just while walking, let alone running.

No, I'll explain why.  When I got my turmshoes by bohemond turnshoes walking on carpet felt like walking on ice, and I took two steps outside on the grass and almost ate dirt because of those soles.  That was my inspiration to make my own, since modern makers refuse to get it right, or you have to spend 100's of $$.  The experience running in five-fingers is more helpful when it comes to how to land while running on a hard surface barefoot to prevent injury.  If you land on your heel you'll send shock up your lower leg and cause pain in your knees and hips, it's injury prevention, not non-slippage practice.

My Pinterest

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #35 on: 2014-03-20, 00:39:03 »

No, I'll explain why.  When I got my turmshoes by bohemond turnshoes walking on carpet felt like walking on ice, and I took two steps outside on the grass and almost ate dirt because of those soles.  That was my inspiration to make my own, since modern makers refuse to get it right, or you have to spend 100's of $$.  The experience running in five-fingers is more helpful when it comes to how to land while running on a hard surface barefoot to prevent injury.  If you land on your heel you'll send shock up your lower leg and cause pain in your knees and hips, it's injury prevention, not non-slippage practice.

Thus the knee pains?
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2014-03-20, 00:50:12 »
Thus the knee pains?

Yes, that's exactly why you need to forefoot strike if you run barefoot or in minimalist footwear... otherwise your knees will pay the price.  But if you do forefoot strike you can run on hard surfaces all day long and have no knee or hip issues.
My Pinterest

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #37 on: 2014-03-20, 00:52:05 »
Thus the knee pains?

Yes, that's exactly why you need to forefoot strike if you run barefoot or in minimalist footwear... otherwise your knees will pay the price.  But if you do forefoot strike you can run on hard surfaces all day long and have no knee or hip issues.

Well, maybe it'd be good for me start early then  :)
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #38 on: 2014-03-20, 13:03:22 »
Thus the knee pains?

Well, maybe it'd be good for me start early then  :)

Absolutely. Build good habits now. They'll serve you well for a lifetime.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #39 on: 2014-03-20, 15:52:30 »
I think there is something to Ian's assertions.  I'm pushing 60 with occasional bouts of plantar flechitis and I carry a 8 inch plate and 15 big deck screws above one of my ankles from a long ago accident.  I spent three days on my feet in turn shoes at the last DOK talking to the 'taters.  Suprizingly, I had zero foot or leg pain in the days after the event, pain that is normally there from being on my feet for extended times in heeled shoes of other eras (even modern.)  There is something in the orientation of the foot being flat on the ground that helped me in this regard.  Your milage may vary.
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #40 on: 2014-04-08, 14:44:59 »
So I have bought leather that would be suitable for the sole (7-9oz shoulder) and am looking for a good leather that would work for trimmings for my armor and also the top of my turnshoes...I found this at tandy and was wondering how suitable it would be...

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather/tooling-shoulders-bends-bellies/9048-557.aspx

It is vegtan but it has been milled down...the grain almost reminds me of chrome tanned leather...the price is about right and that is a lot of square footage I can use for my Corrazina, flanges on elbows and knee cops and turn shoes!

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #41 on: 2014-04-11, 19:22:14 »
Anyone have any opinions on milled leather? I did see on tandy some other 3-4 oz leather going up for sale...but it being milled might make it feel a lot smoother when turned in...I was wondering if anyone had worked with it before...

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather/tooling-shoulders-bends-bellies/9157-86.aspx

is actually cheaper...

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2014-04-11, 21:35:24 »
I don't think it would be bad.  I'm not sure if they accept dye differently or not being softened.  At that price it's worth it to experiment!

I just turned one of my new pair, and I highly recommend dying the uppers first, they look so much neater than the last pair where the uppers meet the sole.
My Pinterest

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #43 on: 2014-04-11, 22:43:20 »
I am using a water based dye and from all the reviews I have read it should not bleed ink so definitely want to dye it before sewing and turning it!

Question, should I finish it with neatsfoot oil before turning it or after it has been turned and sewn? Usually I would finish it then sew it up but not sure with have it to wet it and turn it...

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 2014-04-12, 00:52:33 »
I am using a water based dye and from all the reviews I have read it should not bleed ink so definitely want to dye it before sewing and turning it!

Question, should I finish it with neatsfoot oil before turning it or after it has been turned and sewn? Usually I would finish it then sew it up but not sure with have it to wet it and turn it...

Not sure how water based dye will react when you wet and turn your shoe.  I use oil based dye since its not soluble in water and shoes get wet a lot.
My Pinterest