"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Simple 14th C Turnshoes (Photo Heavy)  (Read 62909 times)

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
Re: Simple 14th C Turnshoes (Photo Heavy)
« Reply #45 on: 2014-04-16, 20:46:44 »
From looking at your pattern, could I actually just make the top piece from one piece of leather and avoid the saddle stitch? or is there a reason for a two piece construction of the top?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #46 on: 2014-04-16, 21:05:48 »
You could do it from one
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #47 on: 2014-04-17, 14:13:53 »
Perfect!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 2014-04-17, 16:27:07 »
To get a good idea of historical patterns based on real finds I recommend the following books:

1. Leather and Leatherworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York
 (Free PDF!)

2. Shoes and Pattens: Medieval Finds from Excavations in London

3. Stepping Through Time - this one is kind of the definitive standard on historical footwear, but good luck finding it for an affordable price

If you're going to go to the trouble of making turnshoes, I caution you from copying other people's reproduction patterns, go to the source! :)
« Last Edit: 2014-04-17, 16:29:26 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #49 on: 2014-04-17, 17:05:13 »
I saw Stepping Through Time on Amazon once for about 80 bucks, which I thought was a lot of money. Had I known the price was going to jump to $999.00, I probably would have grabbed it. :'(
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #50 on: 2014-04-17, 17:28:55 »
Wow that PDF is awesome...I know what I am doing for easter weekend...

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #51 on: 2014-04-17, 17:32:39 »
I saw Stepping Through Time on Amazon once for about 80 bucks, which I thought was a lot of money. Had I known the price was going to jump to $999.00, I probably would have grabbed it. :'(

http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/stepping-through-time.html

35 british pounds...

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Stepping-Through-Time/Olaf-Goubitz/9789089320025

$75

http://www.oxbowbooks.com/pdfs/books/purses%20amerika.pdf

freee
« Last Edit: 2014-04-17, 17:34:23 by Don Jorge »

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 2014-04-17, 19:18:38 »
The Books a Million link is much like Amazon 'shipping in 2-4 weeks' but they never actually get them back in stock to ship.  May have to try that import version.
My Pinterest

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #53 on: 2014-12-07, 10:44:49 »
Hey Ian I know this is kinda thread necro, but would you mind telling us if there is any difference between your shoes for civil wear and your shoes for wearing under armor? Are the laces the same and everything?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 2014-12-07, 11:05:42 »
All the lacing on my shoes are just leather. My arming shoes have an additional set of points at the toe and are side lacing . Every other style of shoe I've made use different types of enclosures and designs, but one pair of my civil shoes are very similar to my arming shoes . I've done about 4 different shoe styles with different pattern variations and enclosures to completion and a couple others I wasn't happy with. 

I just prefer side lacing for arming shoes because it keeps the laces out of the way of my sabatons. For civil turnshoes any documented design will do.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-07, 14:34:55 by Ian »
My Pinterest

jkoelker

« Reply #55 on: 2016-08-23, 19:43:23 »
Hi Ian,

New member, but I've followed your work on your YouTube page, which I love. I was about to jump into a turnshoe project using another tutorial, but I much prefer the look of yours (and it is closer to my period/persona).

I just wanted to ask, how did you go about defining the patterns for your bottom and uppers? It seems like a bit of a trick to ensure the length of the upper aligns with the edge of the soles. I'd like to avoid ruining any leather as I attempt this, so I figured I'd ask for your insights as you took those first steps. The rest I don't think will be a problem for me with my current experience with leather working, but drawing the patterns accurately is not a skill I have developed yet!

Thanks,
Josh

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 2016-08-24, 02:17:52 »
Hi Josh,

This was just my first pair and I've learned a lot since then. It was a copy of another pair of shoes I had laying around so I already had a pattern that fit me properly.  Ideally you need a last (a wooden or plastic foot form, but they can be made from duct tape).  Then the upper will get stretched over the last to marry up to the sole.  The upper will generally stretch a little bit beyond the edges of the sole, they don't need to line up perfectly, because the excess will get cut off after the upper is stitched on.  For patterns I generally use the first three books listed here (http://knyghterrant.com/index.php/recommendations/books/leatherworking-and-leather-goods-books/)  and I will try to tweak them to my own foot or to a last.  I've made a mock up of a pattern in fabric before just to get an idea of coverage.  One day I will write up a much better tutorial and post it on the website.  In the mean time, check out those books.  "Shoes and Pattens" is probably the least expensive and easiest to get a hold of.  There's also this free pdf that has a lot of information about construction and includes patterns (http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AY17-16-Leather-and-leatherworking.pdf)

-Ian
My Pinterest

jkoelker

« Reply #57 on: 2016-08-30, 13:33:55 »
Thanks so much for the tips, Ian. I took a crack at creating a pair this past weekend, and I'm rather pleased with the result. Using your guide as well as another guide I found online I had little difficulty putting these together. Creating the pattern was really the most challenging part, but now that I have one saved I should be able to make future pairs with much more ease.

I'll be dying these a light brown today and call them done. I'm curious, did you find that they stiffen up too much when you dyed them? From past experience I've found that leather tends to become more rigid and brittle when dyed. Also, what type of leather treatment did you use to preserve the shoe afterwards?

Thanks again!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #58 on: 2016-08-30, 18:08:08 »
I'm curious, did you find that they stiffen up too much when you dyed them? From past experience I've found that leather tends to become more rigid and brittle when dyed. Also, what type of leather treatment did you use to preserve the shoe afterwards?

Yes, until you treat them with something, then the soften right back up.  I use pure neatsfoot oil on most of my medieval leather projects.  It restores the suppleness to the leather and offers some moisture protection.  You can always use an oil / beeswax mixture to add more of a water 'proofing' to the leather, and some people just use modern leather conditioners or water proofing solutions.  My shoes almost always tend to get wet at events.  I just make sure they're not in a crushed state as they dry out, then I will wipe them clean and apply more oil as necessary.    I've also found (for the future) that dying before assembly sometimes results in a nicer finished product just because it prevents you from having to try and get dye into the turned seam without getting it all over the soles (which I leave plain).
My Pinterest

jkoelker

« Reply #59 on: 2016-08-30, 21:28:16 »
Thanks for the advice. I thought about pre-dying, but I wasn't sure how it'd react being in water so much for the soaking process. It's funny, I also found that, although both shoes were cut from the exact same patterns, one ended up being slightly bigger after drying. I might re-soak it and let it dry again and see if that works.