"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: Simple 14th C Turnshoes (Photo Heavy)  (Read 62926 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Simple 14th C Turnshoes (Photo Heavy)
« Reply #15 on: 2014-03-14, 01:07:20 »
Those look awesome. I'm gonna have to make my own someday but I probably wont wear them anywhere cept DoK cause I could imagine pavement and rocks not being so forgiving on them. Though I bet these don't slip and slide at all compared to the "hard soled" boots most reproduction stuff is. Will have to make my own pair one day, perhaps soles like this would let me lace maille chausses easier to my feet.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2014-03-14, 01:11:39 »
I disagree with you Sir Aiden.  There is currently a resurgence in minimalist footwear for modern use.  I'm a believer through years of experience.

I wear five-finger shoes to run on the hard street with and do all of my physical training with, and have for 3 years now.  The problem is that modern shoes with all their cushioning encourage you to land on your heel, which physiologically is not how you are supposed to land while running.  Your heel is not a shock absorber.  So we cushion them up on modern shoes.  It's a self-perpetuating problem.

When you run barefoot, or in five-fingers, you're forced to run like you're supposed to run.  That is, being a forefoot striker.  If you land on the ball of your foot, like you naturally do while sprinting anyway, the action of the foot landing on the ball, collapsing back to the heel, and then re-propelling off the forefoot is what your body was designed to do in order to absorb the shock of running.

I used to have knee problems, when I started running on hard surfaces with NO protection except for the minimal sole on five-fingers, and forced myself to re-learn how to run properly, all my knee problems went away.

All the stabilizing muscles in my ankles and mid foot that had been atrophied from the use of modern supportive footwear, re-strengthened on their own as they were intended to be used.

Medieval footwear replicates this experience.

The reason modern folks discount the use of medieval footwear has little to do with protection, but a lot to do with the poor mass production techniques used that give rise to the false belief that medieval footwear is slippery.  This is entirely false.  That's why people shouldn't knock 'em til they try 'em.  Mass produced medieval garbage does NOT equal real medieval footwear.

In fact, part of the reason I made these was because I always suspected that authentic medieval footwear would be very similar to the modern minimalist approach.  I was very happy to confirm my suspicions. 

The only thing I will concede is that authentic medieval footwear WILL wear out prematurely on pavement because of the leather soles getting chewed up.  But those can easily be replaced, as the upper will remain intact.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-14, 01:15:08 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #17 on: 2014-03-14, 03:03:35 »
When you run barefoot, or in five-fingers, you're forced to run like you're supposed to run.  That is, being a forefoot striker.  If you land on the ball of your foot, like you naturally do while sprinting anyway, the action of the foot landing on the ball, collapsing back to the heel, and then re-propelling off the forefoot is what your body was designed to do in order to absorb the shock of running.

I walk around barefoot a lot (or in socks during cold months) and I never noticed this before, but you're right. When I do anything faster than a walk, I automatically want to land on the balls of my feet; it's more comfortable, especially on hard or rough surfaces like a side walk. So do you think medieval people ran differently than we do today since they didn't have modern supportive footwear to mess with their natural body dynamics?

And the shoes really look great! Now you need to make some poulaines with ridiculously long toes. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2014-03-14, 06:43:31 »
Ian I have a question, how much did the stuff cost you to make these shoes. Cause I am seriously considering making my own turnshoes for DoK Frankfort and need patterns tools and some leather sewing kits. If it feels like walking barefoot then I am pretty sure I would LOVE a pair of these simple turnshoes, I am very uncomfortable in most shoes even modern ones as I spend most of my time barefoot. The viking leathercraft shoes have a nasty habit of making my big toe numb because I got odd shaped feet and making my own should solve that issue.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2014-03-14, 18:38:36 »
Ian I have a question, how much did the stuff cost you to make these shoes. Cause I am seriously considering making my own turnshoes for DoK Frankfort and need patterns tools and some leather sewing kits. If it feels like walking barefoot then I am pretty sure I would LOVE a pair of these simple turnshoes, I am very uncomfortable in most shoes even modern ones as I spend most of my time barefoot. The viking leathercraft shoes have a nasty habit of making my big toe numb because I got odd shaped feet and making my own should solve that issue.

The leather itself is the only thing that's expensive... For all the leather I bought it was a couple hundred dollars, but I have enough leather to make lots of pairs of shoes..

If you could find a small piece of leather, enough for only a pair or two, it would be relatively inexpensive.
My Pinterest

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #20 on: 2014-03-14, 18:41:41 »
Sounds to me like Sir Ian is ready to take commissions :)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2014-03-14, 18:43:36 »

I would seriously consider this.. the only problem though is that I only know how to make these for MY feet :)  I'm not sure how to adjust the pattern for other folks' feet since I don't have them here to look at, and I don't want to make something that doesn't fit.
My Pinterest

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #22 on: 2014-03-14, 20:43:15 »
Maybe have them send in a tracing on their feet. Might help with the soles, at least. Not sure what to do about the uppers.
You'd also probably have to get some lasts (is that what they're called?) in different sizes, or perhaps send them out unturned with instructions on soaking them and turning them and whatnot.

I don't know...just some thoughts. I understand your concern, though. I have the same problem. :)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2014-03-14, 20:48:45 »
That I would buy honestly. Could use a pair of "shoes that feel barefoot" as my feet never feel right in any shoes really. Would prolly be easier with a "plaster cast" similar to what Jeff does to make greaves.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #24 on: 2014-03-14, 21:11:43 »

I would seriously consider this.. the only problem though is that I only know how to make these for MY feet :)  I'm not sure how to adjust the pattern for other folks' feet since I don't have them here to look at, and I don't want to make something that doesn't fit.

You could have them give you measurements...I read a good tutorial on one of the websites as to what measurements are needed to make a proper pattern.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #25 on: 2014-03-14, 22:18:51 »

You could have them give you measurements...I read a good tutorial on one of the websites as to what measurements are needed to make a proper pattern.

I don't think measurements would work if the shoes are molded to your feet. Well, from the info that Sir Ian gave would make me conclude this.

Sir Ian, I completely see what your saying and maybe you're right. But this would be a great modern study, and from what I can perceive, isn't one that is looked into enough. Methinks a problem with modern day is that society is too worried with what looks good and is fashionable(not saying medieval people weren't the same way). Ya know, the old bandwagon. Maybe modern day could compromise with a synthetic sole that feels and acts like a leather one, but still keep the stylish top. Would be cool to look into.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #26 on: 2014-03-15, 02:13:25 »
ah yeah i see what you mean...just ship it before it gets turned i guess...or send him a waterproof cast (sealed in plastic or a paint so it won't melt under the wet turnshoe...

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2014-03-15, 02:57:43 »
It's not that it molds to your foot when it's wet.  It's that they have to fit very well.  The pattern really needs to be made to your foot, not to a standard size. 
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2014-03-15, 23:42:59 »

You can look at my feet next time you're up here, if you really want to. :D

I agree on the soft soles. I remember an article a few years back about a guy who was running barefoot, and had other people doing the same with him. Everybody thought he was nutty.

I did have issues with soft / flat soles. Part of that was that MDRF is loose rocks in some spots, and I felt every bit of it. Part of it may have also been they were the really cheap MRL ones that a lot of people start out with. My main concern with medieval / flat soles would be combat, and how easily can I push somebody around who has minimal grip on the ground. I'm thinking historically it wasn't a big deal since they would have virtually all had flat soles, whereas with moderns it can be a question of lugged vs flat. Wet ground would increase the differential in traction.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2014-03-16, 04:00:31 »
If we could buy shoes from you that would be awesome.
Also, People may be meant to land on the front of their feet, but we're also not made to run on stone( concrete, tar, cement, etc.)  we are meant to run on grass, and dirt.
I'm not a big foot expert but I can say that much.
But for modern day it has become popular to have support on your feet to a point that's ridiculous.
We just need to go back to chucks.
Or medieval footwear :)
« Last Edit: 2014-03-16, 04:02:09 by Sir Nate »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"