Main > The Round Table

Effectiveness of Medieval weapons

<< < (4/5) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Stanislaw on 2014-03-12, 17:04:51 ---A short scientific video on the "cleaving" of steel and iron:

--- End quote ---

Nice! It's a shame the text speed is so varied, I had to rewind and pause half of it. Great info in it.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-03-13, 02:32:21 ---
--- Quote from: Stanislaw on 2014-03-12, 17:04:51 ---A short scientific video on the "cleaving" of steel and iron:

--- End quote ---

Nice! It's a shame the text speed is so varied, I had to rewind and pause half of it. Great info in it.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-03-12, 22:29:16 ---I love how the artist chose to illustrate the intestines spilling out. They just don't illustrate Bibles today like they used to.

--- End quote ---

So true, so true. Books in general would be so much better if they were illustrated like they were in the 13th century. :)

Sir Robert:
Highly unlikely, not just as its steel vs steel, but the amount of force needed for such a blow, and speed at which it would have to be delivered would be in the 400 m/s @ well over 100 tons if modern stamping is any indication of sheer force. But considering that kind of impact would also move the person as well I think it's less likely. Shearing through maile is possible, but I think in tha case of a helm it would crush/deflect first. I have a Kevlar helmet from Desert Storm that was hit by shrapnel and was tore off my head by the force rather then penetrated not the same but it demonstrates force of impact. A axe with a spike will certainly pierce, but that's not cutting through.

Sir William:
I see it as being used for entertainment purposes- we all need our heroes to be larger than life, don't we?  Although I have often wondered, with adrenaline dumping gobs of go-juice into the bloodstream along with the very real fact that one could die that day if one did not commence with the killing- with that sort of cocktail, would it be so far fetched to see such feats in such a battle?  Even in these tests, there is no fear of reprisal or backlash, no one is fighting to the death (something that, I think, changes a man, at least in the moment) - when the exercise is over, everyone can sit down and talk about it, expound on theory but overall, it lacks the requisite punch that would be associated with real battle.  Maybe not necessarily cutting an enemy (or a helm) in twain but who knows?  We're used to a uniformity in armor due to modern materials and workmanship but would all warriors in period be dressed in similar quality armor?  Wouldn't an old, cheaply made pot helm be less likely to maintain structural rigidity than a well forged one?  Wouldn't a rusted, old hauberk be more likely to fail than one of higher quality?

Having never been in such a life or death situation, I can only speculate but I'd be willing to bet that those of us who serve or have served in the armed forces in wartime could expound at length in greater detail.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version