"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Pater Noster  (Read 10668 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Pater Noster
« Reply #15 on: 2014-08-13, 03:52:20 »
Made 3 single-decade "tenners" tonight for myself and the little squires.  The cross on the red-tasseled one was brought back from the Vatican by my late grandmother and has been blessed by then Pope (and now Saint) John Paul II.

Wow.

Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #16 on: 2014-08-13, 15:06:57 »
I hadn't realized he was canonized. I have a rosary from the Vatican when I was there in the late 90's but I don't think it was blessed by the then Pope. Those are very awesome, and what a great addition to garb. It is that kind of thing that makes it a little more "real".

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-08-13, 15:36:34 »
I hadn't realized he was canonized. I have a rosary from the Vatican when I was there in the late 90's but I don't think it was blessed by the then Pope. Those are very awesome, and what a great addition to garb. It is that kind of thing that makes it a little more "real".

It's possible, a lot (if not all) of the rosaries sold in the Vatican shop were blessed by the Pope.  That's where I got the one I gifted to my mother.  I was there in early 2000.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #18 on: 2014-08-13, 15:57:42 »
It is definitely possible, it is carved rosewood and smells lovely even after all of this time. I actually have 2 from there, one is the cheaper black plastic beads with a nice crucifix at the bottom but the really nice one has the seal of the Vatican on the front of the little pouch and as I said is all carved rosewood. I don't use it anymore but I still keep it.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #19 on: 2014-08-14, 05:07:54 »
I wish I were a holy man. I really do. The thing is that I don't believe in the lord. That's the only thing holding me back from being religious, for I would feel guilty raying but not believing. I think religion is an awesome thing that more should practice. I envy each of you who follow this path. Maybe it'd be cool to have one of these anyway though.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-14, 05:09:04 by Page Aiden »
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Eva de Carduus Weald

• Forum Member
  • In service and honor
« Reply #20 on: 2014-08-14, 14:15:57 »
Each is on a personal path, whether that path leads to a standard religion or a personal belief, or even a belief in the invisible pink unicorn, each has something that drives them, guides them, and helps them achieve more than they thought possible. You can use one of these to pray, to count the change you own the vendor, or to name all the elements on the periodic table. All it is, is a way to keep count. Make it what it is for you. :)

As for being a holy man, that simply means you know more about your personal faith system than anyone else and are legally recognized for it. There is nothing keeping you from doing so if you so wish, depending on where you are of course.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2014-08-14, 20:19:18 »
I wish I were a holy man. I really do. The thing is that I don't believe in the lord. That's the only thing holding me back from being religious, for I would feel guilty raying but not believing. I think religion is an awesome thing that more should practice. I envy each of you who follow this path. Maybe it'd be cool to have one of these anyway though.

Everyone follows a different path, and that's OK. It's better to know where your beliefs (or lack thereof) are, and be honest about it, than to just pay lip service to something that doesn't work for you.

Personally, I'm not highly religious either. I was raised Catholic, but I haven't been "practicing" since I was a teen. It's something that remains in the back of my mind, rather than the forefront.

We all walk different paths, that will lead us down different roads.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )