"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: Getting Into My Basics  (Read 19455 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Getting Into My Basics
« Reply #30 on: 2014-04-10, 13:00:50 »
EDIT: Was it practiced to wear a surcoat just over the gambeson without Maille?

Sure, you can do that. It wouldn't have been done frequently, but there might be times when you don't want to fully harness up, but still want your colors.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #31 on: 2014-04-11, 21:33:05 »
EDIT: Was it practiced to wear a surcoat just over the gambeson without Maille?

Sure, you can do that. It wouldn't have been done frequently, but there might be times when you don't want to fully harness up, but still want your colors.

But be careful, if they see you without mail. They will get their revenge.

I think it would be good for medieval political occasions
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #32 on: 2014-04-15, 21:57:14 »
I just bought some wool fabrics! They aren't heavily textured and to be honest I don't know how they should look or feel texture wise, but its wool either way I suppose. Time to start crafting! I think I will start with the chausses, then the tunic, then the cowl. I just hope it all looks good together in the end. Dark green chausses, tan tunic, dark brown cowl, and natural color shoes and a brown leather belt. If not I can always make other colors to match the other articles of clothing. I will be sure to give pictures of the progress. I am following a generic chausses design for I don't think there is a specific way they were made. But I'll practice on none expensive fabric first then show you guys the progress on the real thing.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #33 on: 2014-04-16, 19:36:50 »
My very first medieval shoes came in! That was fast! They said it may take 2 weeks because of the vibram soles but I guess they already had a pair with them on it in my size! Very comfortable, nice looking and well fitted. Sadly I don't know any medieval knots, so if anyone knows any that they wouldn't mind sharing that would be great :) I now can truly tread on my medieval path in these new shoes!

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2014-04-17, 13:17:11 »
Excellent!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #35 on: 2014-04-17, 19:54:45 »
Nice design.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #36 on: 2014-05-09, 13:51:58 »
Looking good, Aiden!
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #37 on: 2014-05-10, 02:30:11 »
I just bought some wool fabrics! They aren't heavily textured and to be honest I don't know how they should look or feel texture wise, but its wool either way I suppose. Time to start crafting! I think I will start with the chausses, then the tunic, then the cowl. I just hope it all looks good together in the end. Dark green chausses, tan tunic, dark brown cowl, and natural color shoes and a brown leather belt. If not I can always make other colors to match the other articles of clothing. I will be sure to give pictures of the progress. I am following a generic chausses design for I don't think there is a specific way they were made. But I'll practice on none expensive fabric first then show you guys the progress on the real thing.

before you cut anything. WASH IT THAT MATERIAL! it's going to shrink.  wash it in cold and air dry it or fluff dry no heat in the dryer. if u cut something and make something first, and then wear it, then wash it, it will be to small and the seams will pucker

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2014-05-10, 03:27:46 »

before you cut anything. WASH IT THAT MATERIAL! it's going to shrink.  wash it in cold and air dry it or fluff dry no heat in the dryer. if u cut something and make something first, and then wear it, then wash it, it will be to small and the seams will pucker

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even consider that. Maybe it has been a good thing I haven't been able to get started yet do to school work, would have not washed it and would have used polyester thread instead of linen thread. I sure hope I get this done soon, that way I can get onto, wait for it... Another project!

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2014-05-10, 05:31:04 »
When those shoes die (and it may take a while) go for completely flat bottom shoes. It will do wonders for your sword form. :)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #40 on: 2014-05-10, 17:28:33 »
When those shoes die (and it may take a while) go for completely flat bottom shoes. It will do wonders for your sword form. :)

Already took the first step by spilling oil on them when cleaning my kettle helm  :P I will definitely consider that when I get into HEMA next summer. Plus the only sword form I know is the one from Kingdom of Heaven lol I can also by a pair before then because these were only, like, $80. The only sad part is that they have slippery bottoms, completely inaccurate, so I had to get Vibram sole add on. But it is hard to notice anyway so it really doesn't matter.