"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Getting Into My Basics  (Read 19604 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: Getting Into My Basics
« Reply #15 on: 2014-03-20, 22:13:18 »
I got the wool hose. I made myself a pair of linen hose, but they don't stretch very well and they wear down quickly at the heel. Good luck with yours. It's not as easy as it seams,... I mean seems.

Well, I got to start somewhere right :)

If you don't mind the ahistorical vibram sole they can attach for you at Viking Leathercrafts, they won't slip.  My viking leathercraft shoes have the rubber sole on them for that express purpose.

Yep, what Sir Ian said. Vibram sole was $10 extra, or lugged sole for $25.

Honest question, what's the difference between the vibram and the lugged? Personally, I want a shoe that is historical. Because I plan to have spurs.

I had Vibram soles on a set of shoes I ordered from Revival Clothing a while back, and they did slip, just not as much as their plain leather soles. But it still required some caution. The lugged soles are the ones that will grip the ground like a modern shoe.

The difference is that the Vibram sole is a completely flat sole, with texture to give it some traction. It's synthetic, but from a distance won't stand out as being all that different from a flat piece of leather.

The "lugged" sole is a modern boot sole, complete with treads.

Any good recommendations on places to get good late 13th century shoes or boots? Also how good are the Viking leather craft ones with the Vibram soles?
« Last Edit: 2014-03-23, 15:27:25 by Sir Aiden »
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2014-03-21, 06:44:36 »
Go for the viking leathercraft shoes, get it with the Vibram or Lugged sole. The hard slippery leather sole is not period anyway so you might as well save yourself the hassle and have shoes that dont slip. I use lugged 12th century shoes myself because the 13th and 14th century ones are too pointed for my wide feet. Lugged soles also help with chausses lacing as you can put the laces between the lugs so they're less likely to wear out.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2014-03-23, 04:51:08 »
Go for the viking leathercraft shoes, get it with the Vibram or Lugged sole. The hard slippery leather sole is not period anyway so you might as well save yourself the hassle and have shoes that dont slip. I use lugged 12th century shoes myself because the 13th and 14th century ones are too pointed for my wide feet. Lugged soles also help with chausses lacing as you can put the laces between the lugs so they're less likely to wear out.

Are the vibram soft and capable of accommodating the lacing from chausses and the spurs?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #18 on: 2014-03-23, 12:57:50 »
shouldn't be an issue

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-03-23, 14:26:24 »
I have wide, flat feet and Ulrich recommends the 12 century pair. How does the buckled 13/14 century shoes fit? How true to shoe size are they? I may have to re-measure my feet.

I have a question that's a bit off topic. I'm getting Mille with integrated mittens and I plan to sow a leather mitten on too it. Should I buy a gambeson that also has an integrated mittens? To pad my hands underneath?

EDIT: It turns out that my package I believe has arrived at my other house on Friday! Hopefully I'll have it tonight or Tuesday. So it only took a week to get it(Sorry Baron). I'll post pics of me in my... Um... Underwear... I sure hope it fits!
« Last Edit: 2014-03-23, 15:27:42 by Sir Aiden »

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2014-03-23, 21:54:10 »
Can't say I've seen any examples of gambesons with integral mittens.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2014-03-23, 22:19:38 »
Can't say I've seen any examples of gambesons with integral mittens.

According to the shop gambeson there are from the Morgan Bible.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2014-03-24, 13:43:12 »
It would appear that the gambesons with mufflers are only shown on foot soldiers. Of course, you can't see what the knights are wearing under their maille, but here is one example:

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2014-03-24, 20:02:41 »
I must admit, this is quite comfortable. I see nothing wrong with its quality. The cap is a tad bit small, but it was free so I have no complaints, can always make my own. I will wash it and shrink it a bit. I have 14 days to return it and recommended to wash it if to big. They say even after washed it can still be returned.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2014-03-24, 20:09:33 »
Coifs are pretty damn easy to make. Even I, who has very little sewing skill, was able to make one in an hour. You shouldn't have a problem. Now I can't wait to get home from work and open up my package from HE that finally arrived.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #25 on: 2014-03-24, 20:14:47 »
Is that the 14th century set?

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2014-03-24, 20:22:31 »
Is that the 14th century set?

13th century, 13th century braies were longer than 14th and this shirt is based on the St. Louis one, which dates back to 1250.

Coifs are pretty damn easy to make. Even I, who has very little sewing skill, was able to make one in an hour. You shouldn't have a problem. Now I can't wait to get home from work and open up my package from HE that finally arrived.

Be sure to share and show pics!

EDIT: I forgot that points aren't included in any purchases so now it looks like I have to buy some, or just buy shoe laces and put Chapes on them. I suppose I could just order some garters and points.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-27, 02:24:21 by Sir Aiden »

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2014-04-09, 19:31:50 »
I think I am going to order some 13/14th century shoes tonight from Viking leather crafts in a natural color with the vibram. I am a size 11 ish but methinks I'll get a size 12 so I have room to grow and for my chausses. Plus these will be good for my late 13th and 14th century foot wear :)

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #28 on: 2014-04-09, 19:53:16 »
Awesome...frank is great :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2014-04-10, 01:28:28 »
Ordered it! Now I just have to ACTUALLY get to making my clothes, I simply have just not had any time with school. Also I'm still with out a permit or license(could have had either one by now) and the only way to get down to the store is if my folks drive me, but they don't have time either. I would order it but I want to physically feel and see the fabrics my self. Will probably drive down to Philly. Hopefully this spring break I'll make some cash and order a gambeson and kettle helm. Maybe even the Knightly sword from Albion's squire line products.

EDIT: Was it practiced to wear a surcoat just over the gambeson without Maille?
« Last Edit: 2014-04-10, 02:28:25 by Sir Aiden »