"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: Making a Padded Coif  (Read 23051 times)

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
Re: Making a Padded Coif
« Reply #15 on: 2014-03-03, 14:27:36 »
I must say it's turning out quite nicely. The trick here though, is just how much padding do I need. I don't want to over or under stuff it.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2014-03-03, 17:49:01 »
All it is missing are the ties, but otherwise it is done.

D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-03-03, 18:41:19 »
Nice job!  Nothing beats the sense of accomplishment when you complete a new piece of kit on your own!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #18 on: 2014-03-03, 19:30:54 »
sweet. now for the ties. take a long piece of material that is an inch or wide and fold it in on itself. now sew it around the bottom of your coif and knot the ends that way when u pull it tight it pulls from the entire bottom of the coif not just the ends

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2014-03-03, 20:20:16 »
sweet. now for the ties. take a long piece of material that is an inch or wide and fold it in on itself. now sew it around the bottom of your coif and knot the ends that way when u pull it tight it pulls from the entire bottom of the coif not just the ends

Really?  I never knew that!  That makes a lot of sense.  Otherwise it just pulls the corners instead of really seats the coif on your head.  Learn something new every day...
My Pinterest

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #20 on: 2014-03-03, 20:57:48 »

Really?  I never knew that!  That makes a lot of sense.  Otherwise it just pulls the corners instead of really seats the coif on your head.  Learn something new every day...

Neither did I. And that would explain why my coif and arming cap never quite seem to fit around the back. Seems some modifications are in order.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #21 on: 2014-03-03, 21:26:38 »
awesome.

i have seen them done at just the ends and they tare and rip the corners

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2014-03-03, 21:47:32 »
If only I read that post before I sewed on the ties. Too bad I'm out of scrap linen.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #23 on: 2014-03-03, 21:51:56 »
I'm sure that would be something you could easily change later on if you find yourself with extra linen...at least, that's what I'm counting on for mine. :P

But either way, it still looks great! How many layers of batting did you end up going with?
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2014-03-03, 21:52:18 »
It is done. I must say I am quite pleased with how it turned out. It fits nicely. I even tested it with my new spangenhelm and it feels incredibly comfortable. I just saved myself $15 and gained some sewing experience. Not a bad deal I'd say.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2014-03-03, 21:53:08 »
I went with four layers

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2014-03-03, 22:13:39 »
If only I read that post before I sewed on the ties. Too bad I'm out of scrap linen.

That's why God invented seam rippers.
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2014-03-04, 00:47:42 »

Neither did I. And that would explain why my coif and arming cap never quite seem to fit around the back. Seems some modifications are in order.

Yep, me either. Good info, since I want to get away from the basic "spider liner" and get a proper padded liner. I took an arrow to the knee ... I mean, mortschlag to the head, a couple times at the demo last weekend. One not only dented my helmet, it whacked hard enough that the helmet hit my head. Sooooo, padding is in order! (and a new helmet probably)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #28 on: 2014-03-04, 01:04:59 »
very cool man. very proud moment for you and us!

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #29 on: 2014-03-04, 03:37:14 »

Great tip!  Man, that makes a lot of sense...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber