"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: "Pavise" Type Shields in 13th/14th Century Poland  (Read 9505 times)

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
"Pavise" Type Shields in 13th/14th Century Poland
« on: 2014-02-27, 03:43:13 »
Lately, I've come across an increasingly large amount of information about Polish arms and armor during the 13th Century. Now, to be precise, I'm not simply referring to the equipment of the knights of Silesia, but more so to the seemingly much-avoided and understudied equipment from the more Eastern areas of the Piast Dynasty.

I've come across a lot of reconstructions of cavalry and the like from scouring forums both in English and Polish, and I've commonly seen them with shields we'd mostly refer to as pavises. Lithuanians of the 1200s are also depicted with them in modern drawings. Now, until today, I thought that they were simply an anomaly relegated to Lithuania and later century crossbowmen. However, my recent searches demonstrate that they were anything but an anomaly, even to the point where they were universally used in Mazovia.

For instance, let's take a look at a seal depiciting Trojden I of Mazovia:

Here, he is shown to have a four-sided shield with some sort of a line running down the middle.

A drawing of the same seal:

Another instance of its depiction in Mazovia, with the seal of Ziemowit II:

When one continues to search for the seals of rulers of Mazovia, similar-shaped shields just keep popping up.

Even with this guy, Waclaw of Plock, who seems to be wearing a surcoat and maille, is shown holding a "pavise" type shield and even wearing a brimmed helm:

Now, to be honest, I do not think that those shields were referred to as pavises by the Poles. In fact, as far as I know, there is no documentation of what they were referred to historically. The modern Polish article that I was reading that described them refers to them as "Pawęż", but that is also likely not a regional term.

The reason for this shield being so apparently prevalent in Mazovia? The Duchy of Mazovia bordered the Duchy of Lithuania, and this is likely an example of a mixing of east and west. I think that a lot more archaeological and artistic research should be put into this matter, and not just by those who live in Poland.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-27, 03:50:53 by Stanislaw »
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: "Pavise" Type Shields in 13th/14th Century Poland
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-27, 04:26:06 »
Very cool. I would call that a pavise style shield, too. Interesting design with that middle ridge / line.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-27, 05:21:24 »
Very cool. I would call that a pavise style shield, too. Interesting design with that middle ridge / line.

These shields also have some rather interesting shape to them, as well, unlike the rather rectangular-looking pavises that you mostly see. Wuflund actually makes replica pavises, but I've yet to find any with the subtleties of the ones depicted in the seals. Perhaps a DIY project for me in the future? (never actually made a shield before, though)
« Last Edit: 2014-02-27, 05:22:17 by Stanislaw »
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-27, 15:45:53 »

One of those images looks like it could be an actual pavisse, since it looks like it might have a spike in the bottom:

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-27, 16:42:15 »
IIRC a few folks on the Armour Archive have made some.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-27, 19:22:23 »
Looks a lot like the Moorish/Spanish/Iberian shields of the 13-14th century called an Adarga

Oooo Wikipedia strikes again: "Some impressive examples of the adarga are preserved in the Royal Armoury of the Royal Palace of Madrid, while one unique example is made from a large tortoise shell, taken at the Battle of Vienna in 1683 from the Turks, and is preserved in the armory of the Mons Clara Monastery at Częstochowa, Poland"

Maybe a link.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-27, 19:30:36 by Belemrys »

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-27, 19:44:34 »
Looks a lot like the Moorish/Spanish/Iberian shields of the 13-14th century called an Adarga

Oooo Wikipedia strikes again: "Some impressive examples of the adarga are preserved in the Royal Armoury of the Royal Palace of Madrid, while one unique example is made from a large tortoise shell, taken at the Battle of Vienna in 1683 from the Turks, and is preserved in the armory of the Mons Clara Monastery at Częstochowa, Poland"

Maybe a link.

I just looked up some historical examples, and they do look strikingly similar in design to the one that Trojden I is depicted with.

IIRC a few folks on the Armour Archive have made some.

If you happen to come across them, I'd be glad to see them! :)
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-03, 19:17:24 »

One of those images looks like it could be an actual pavisse, since it looks like it might have a spike in the bottom:

Agreed Sir Ed. Very similar to western, more specifically, French pavisse. The ridge down the middle is quite often thought to be a channel for a stake, spear or similar, pushed into the ground to hold the shield upright. One could crouch behind a shield of that size quite easily and still get some protection.

G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)