"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Making a Quilted Aventail  (Read 37525 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Making a Quilted Aventail
« on: 2014-02-23, 04:15:18 »
The idea behind this project is to make a quilted aventail for my bascinet.  I will be using modern materials and modern methods for this first attempt.

Since my bascinet is a (heavily modified) mass produced piece, my mail aventail is blackened / butted from Icefalcon, and my budget is tiny; the end product will not be “living history” acceptable.

My goals are to dress up my current bascinet, add a level of blunt trauma protection, and allow my mail aventail to flow better when turning my head.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
Re: Making a Quilted Aventail
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-23, 04:16:18 »
The materials are (real) linen fabric, cotton & bamboo fiber batting (50%/50%), and heavy duty “button hole” thread.   As luck would have it, linen was on sale this week!   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-23, 15:39:30 »
Scott, I used virtually the same materials (just 100% cotton batting instead of the bamboo blend) and I use mine for living history.  Even if you machine stitch it, no one will really see those parts anyway.  It's well worth doing this project, I love mine.  I totally just winged the pattern though, and it took some fudging here and there and last minute cutting and re-sewing to make it fit right.  A flat quilted aventail does not translate well to a 3d bloused aventail as I found out :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-23, 17:57:37 »
yeahhhhhhhhh awesome. cant wait to see it

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-27, 06:05:38 »
As for most sewing projects where a pattern is not readily available, I’ll create a test piece (or six) before using my good fabrics.

I know a simple circle is not the correct answer, but I’ll start there.  I cut out a circle a little larger than the circumference of my aventail fully stretched out (approx. 1").  Then I’ll cut a smaller circle out of the center, this being about the circumference of the bascinet.

I’ll have to add a second piece to account for the 2” rise under my vervelles.  This rise is 4” for the length of the face opening.  The total length of this piece will be the circumference of the bascinet (plus seam allowance).  As always, add an extra inch for the fudge factor.  You can always trim it off later.

To make the pieces match up, I had to cut a dart (triangle, about 4” on a side) out of the circular piece of fabric .  For the final pattern I’ll have to remember to remove 4 darts of 1” length spaced equally around the circumference.

[edited for clarity]
« Last Edit: 2014-02-27, 23:09:18 by Lord Rodney »

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-28, 04:56:52 »
The initial test fit proved that I’m on the right track, but not quite there yet.

Some things I discovered:
- The fit of the fabric band over the vervelles must be perfect and tight or the leather aventail band will not fit properly.
- I need to add 2” to the exterior radius of the circular piece of fabric; even a touch more if seam allowance and padding/quilting is taken into account.
- The 4 darts will need to be approximately 1” wide by 3” long for a proper look and fit.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-10, 03:10:13 »
I found the “circle & ring” design lacking, so it’s back to the drawing board.  I carefully cut apart pattern #1 at the North, South East & West points (using my nose as North).

Using these pieces I came up with pattern #2 which is 4 “pieces of pizza with the point nibbled off”.  Two pieces, the left-front and right-front, extend a little longer to the center of the “pizza” to account for the mail rising up in front of the chin.

This pattern seems to fit much better.   I still need to add another inch to the outer edge of all 4 pieces and I need to add a little more height in the area near the face opening.   Even with these two minor adjustments, I feel confident moving on to the linen fabric next.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-16, 04:37:51 »
As my test patterns were “quick & dirty”, I traced out a measured and clean ¼ pattern on cardboard.

I was excited to cut out my pieces and get sewing until I remembered that I hadn’t pre-washed and dried my fabric.  Cutting will have to wait until tomorrow.   :(

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-20, 03:50:31 »
With the initial wash and dry out of the way, it’s time for cutting.  Four pieces were cut out and basted “right side” together.

The piece was then pulled down snugly over the bascinet.  Small slits had to be cut into the fabric to allow this to happen.  When everything was aligned just right, I used a fabric pencil to mark the locations of the vervelles.  These are barely visible as white dots in the second photo.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-20, 04:23:40 »
My my, this is coming out great!
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-20, 13:20:18 »

It's looking good so far!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-20, 18:43:13 »
I am in awe at your abilities to turn textiles into something good looking and functional; you and Ian.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-23, 01:41:37 »
I sewed button holes at every vervelles location.

Another test fit ensured that everything is lining up correctly.  I will have to cut away some of the face opening and ease it open a bit (white chalk line).

I then cut out and assembled an exact copy of the outer shell.  This copy will be used for the inner shell.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #13 on: 2014-03-23, 13:02:11 »
awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can't wait man

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-23, 16:40:32 »
Join the two pieces “right sides” together with a simple straight stitch along the outer (large circumference or “bottom”) edge.

Turn the piece right sides out and iron it even while matching all seams.  You will have to use the “horn” of the ironing board as the piece will not lay flat due to its cone or “volcano” shape.